Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tackle Box as a Kit >

Tackle Box as a Kit

Tackle Box as a Kit

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM

A great idea! I have an old fashioned ie "vintage" wicker sewing box. It has a plastic compartment that lifts out, a lid that latches and a wicker handle. I got it at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. On the bottom someone wrote "Happy Birthday Mom. Love Betty. March 27, 1964". It's older than me! I know that I have seen sewing boxes at Hancock Fabrics and Joann's.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Remember Kaboodles? They were like fishing boxes, but in cuter colors and designs. I think Target still carries them.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 PM

I use one, and I love it. It's double sided, and has movable inserts so you can customize the size compartments you need. I just have to be sure the latches are secure before flipping it over. Don't know where it came from, (it was a gift) but it was billed as a multi-use case...fishing, crafts, tools, etc.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 AM

I have a hardware store tote that has pockets and elastic holders for all kinds of things. I added a cup to hold pens, and pencils and holders for my tape measures and pins. It holds small rulers, all my scissors, etc. The little mesh pockets on the side holds my rotary cutter blades in their holders.

I can see everything and the handle at the top makes it portable. I think I found it at Home Depot. If I was looking at a tool box, I would make sure it was big enough.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:06 AM

I use small fishing lure boxes for different pressure feet for my sewing machines. Stays shut and has worked well.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 AM

Tackle boxes are perfect and i have used them for craft supplies since i was very little. I currently use a caboodles makeup box that i've had since i was around 14 for my hand sewing kit.

Check out the smaller tool boxes. They have really nice ones with tops that lift like a tackle box and little compartments on them. They even make them in nicer colors for women. My daughter just bought a purple one for her beading supplies and it was half the price of the beading supply boxes.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 AM

I think a tackle box is a great idea. I started collecting vintage sewing boxes so I have a few that look like a tackle box. You know, the ones that fold out.....

Or, you could go with a tool box. I was asking for one at Christmas that was pretty large and on rollers. The bottom part was big enough that a FW would fit inside and then the upper box had lots of divisions where you could put things. It was made by Stanley. I saw them at Lowe's and Home Depot. I didn't get one because my DH said that once I got everything in it I wouldn't be able to lift it into the car. I think I could. I may still go get one.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 AM

I use a plastic box that snaps togiether with several compartments Bought it at Joann's. There are several options available. its my on-the-go box with all my supplies.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 AM

I inherited a green & clear plastic sewing 'basket' from my DH's grandmother. It's configured sort of like a tackle box. I've seen boxes a lot like it in thrift stores for really cheap. You might try there and be able to find something unique and interesting to use as your box!

Mine is definitely made specifically for sewing; it has two lift-out trays with various compartments (including pegs for spools of thread) and the bottom area can hold bigger tools or a bit of fabric.

It's kind of getting brittle; the plastic isn't aging all that great. I've lost a thread peg or two. But overall it's still totally useful, and I love the vintage look of it, and the fact that it belonged to DH's grandma.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 AM

I use a smallish plastic toolbox that I bought at Harbor Freight for less than $5 - works great for me. They have lots of different options.