Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a day off work o quilt...HAVE YOU? >

Taking a day off work o quilt...HAVE YOU?

Taking a day off work o quilt...HAVE YOU?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM

I called in "tired" one day. Got a lot of looks the next day. I'm too scared to lie. Remember Maude's "God will get you for that"
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Yes I have. I use my days off to quilt. I strongly believe in mental days.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM

I think everyone has had one of those days at least once in a while whether they admit it or not. Enjoy your day and get lots done. :)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm the teacher and I'm with you. I hear my co-workers talking about taking "mental days" then they use up their days, something goes wrong and they need days and want others to give them some. I'm sorry but when I signed the contract, I said I would work and sometimes I really don't feel like it but that is when you put on your happy face, buck up and go. I usually find that I am glad I did. The students are pretty good medicine most of the time.
Originally Posted by Drew
I never took a day off (Elementary School Secretary). I would have just come back with a much bigger problem and mess. However, many teachers would take days off for "wellness time." It just really irked me at times - paying the teacher, paying the sub, and the children would "take advantage" of the situation. Although, having good subs was key to the situation. It's when you would get a last minute call - all the good subs already had jobs. Off my soap box.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 AM

I also have "pajama days". I don't get dressed all day, just stay in my jammies and sew! Have fun!

Karen
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Gosh darn, I think a few of us have just been called liars. Think what you want to but I know what is true for me and I still say it's wrong to call in sick when you're not sick.
Originally Posted by katigirl
I think everyone has had one of those days at least once in a while whether they admit it or not. Enjoy your day and get lots done. :)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:56 AM

No I am a stay at home mom, but I have BEGGED my husband to stay home so I could sleep, or get something important done. lol I can sit and sew while the kids are here not a big deal. He however has never done it he says going to work is his stress reliever. lol He does come home in a better mood than he leaves some times. He is good about asking off if I ask him to though.

I guess I should add that my husband wouldn't be calling in "sick" he would be calling in to use his own time that he has earned working over time that has turned into comp time or via a vacation day. He saves sick days for being actually sick which never get used!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Gosh darn, I think a few of us have just been called liars. Think what you want to but I know what is true for me and I still say it's wrong to call in sick when you're not sick.
If they aren't "sick" days you can do whatever you want with them, including lie around in your PJs and not answer the phone. Besides, mental health is ALSO important.

I have personal days, not sick days. Teachers also get personal days that are not sick days - it's part of their contract, so yes, they DO sign up for a couple of "whatever" days a year...literally.

If a person is responsible and gets the job done there is nothing at all wrong with judicious use of personal leave for mental health or even frivolous pursuits. This is not like playing hookey from middle school - this is real life, and there is no lazy summer ahead for most of us. We have to make time to take care of ourselves when we can get it.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM

YES!!! I have taken a day off for a "mental Health day" and spent it quilting. I use vacation days to do this, so I don't feel guilty...I don't call in "sick"...I call in "vacation". :thumbup:
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Policies regarding leave time (sick/vacation/holiday/personal days) vary from business to business. Some have all four types of leave, some have them all lumped together and don't distinguish the type of leave. But, every hospital I have worked at still made a distinction between time off that was scheduled (let me repeat that...SCHEDULED) like a holiday or a vacation and unscheduled occurances when staff called in at the last moment like being sick or having a sick child or an emergency. I'm talking about unscheduled time off and the original poster said she was calling in sick with the flu. A nurse cannot possibly be "responsible and get the work done" (your choice of words)if she calls in sick or otherwise takes unscheduled time off at the last minute. Now, before someone objects, I am not saying that nurses, or anyone else, should go to work sick. I am simply saying that to call in sick or call in and take a "personal day" because they are sick and they are NOT SICK is wrong. If your mental health is that precarious then maybe you shouldn't be working at anything more stressful than watching for icebergs in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. I have never called in sick when I wasn't sick. And I will not be forced into "admitting" something that I haven't done no matter what katigirl thinks.quote=JulieR]
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
If they aren't "sick" days you can do whatever you want with them, including lie around in your PJs and not answer the phone. Besides, mental health is ALSO important.

I have personal days, not sick days. Teachers also get personal days that are not sick days - it's part of their contract, so yes, they DO sign up for a couple of "whatever" days a year...literally.

If a person is responsible and gets the job done there is nothing at all wrong with judicious use of personal leave for mental health or even frivolous pursuits. This is not like playing hookey from middle school - this is real life, and there is no lazy summer ahead for most of us. We have to make time to take care of ourselves when we can get it.[/quote]