Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking the Pressure Off >

Taking the Pressure Off

Taking the Pressure Off

Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Good for you. Although I can't do much more than meandering and loops and curls, I have improved through the years, although I doubt that I'll ever be one of those who can do the fancy stuff, I'm okay with that. I hope to improve even more, now that I have a 20" Bailey to quilt on.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

In my guild there are more members with LA set ups then ones without. There is always someone available to machine quilt my quilts as soon as I get them sewn.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
If I ever go this route, how do I go about finding the longarmers in my area?
check at your LQS--often they will know of several in your area. Also, many guilds keep a list of members that long arm. Go to local quilt shows and look at who quilted the ones you liked the best (the quilting). Each of us tend to have a niche--computerized vs. free hand; E2E vs. custom vs. lots of ruler work, heirloom, etc and of course "traditional" vs. "modern"--Ask lots of questions when you contact them--computerized? FMQ? ruler work? pantos? turn around time, ask to see samples, what type of bat they use (or recommend), if they will use your bat (or if there are limits on that), backing--yours? theirs? arrangements on pick up/delivery? and of course--pricing!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 AM

We all have to find our own comfort points for our quilting hobby. Some keep it a hobby, others branch out and make a profession out of it. I could not afford to have my quilts quilted by others-nor would I want to. I want the quilts I make to be totally mine so I quilt them myself. I took a class at my local LQS and sometimes rent time on their longarm. It is simple designs so far but I do try to expand my skills. I do like to FMQ on my domestic machine and do smaller stuff here at home. Will I ever be really proficient? Probably not but I love doing it!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
If I ever go this route, how do I go about finding the longarmers in my area?
Find the nearest quilt guild--they know who will quilt for $. Look around this board and you will find some--even MSQC offers quilting.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

If you are interested in Quilt As You Go, Marti Michell has a great class on Bluprint, for QAYG any quilt. I learned so many great tips from her! She shows the many different ways to QAYG.
[h=2]Machine Quilting in Sections: Strategies for Any Quilt[/h][h=3]with Marti Michell[/h]
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Here is the link to QB member longarmers
https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...s-t169702.html
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 AM

I am with you Boston. I am so happy to get the top done and batting and backing ready to sandwich everything and then pass it on to the LA quilter. I get anxious to get it back tho' as I love putting binding on and sitting and stitching. I have never hand quilted anything but I don't think I have the patience to do that anyway.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Thanks, everyone!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 AM

I want mine to be totally mine too. I like making it all. I like FMQ, but I only have a home sewing machine.My bucket list is to make all my 3 kids and 10 grands a queen sized quilt. I have finished 2 queens, and have 1 queen top done. However, Kreations by Kara is running a special .01 cent per sq inch to quilt only through march. Well, I sent a photo and told how I'd like it quilted. She said would be a custom job and up the price to .03 inch $270. for this quilt. If I times that, by the number I want to make, I could buy me a midarm and do it myself, which I'd rather do. I'm sure some people don't mind and can afford the cost, but I'm unfortunately not one of them. Retired and limited income, you know. Hubby does help me hand quilt when I don't use the machine. Look in my profile pictures at the 50th anniversary quilt he helped me quilt by hand. I machine embroidered all the white blocks, about our life together, raising a family.
Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
We all have to find our own comfort points for our quilting hobby. Some keep it a hobby, others branch out and make a profession out of it. I could not afford to have my quilts quilted by others-nor would I want to. I want the quilts I make to be totally mine so I quilt them myself. I took a class at my local LQS and sometimes rent time on their longarm. It is simple designs so far but I do try to expand my skills. I do like to FMQ on my domestic machine and do smaller stuff here at home. Will I ever be really proficient? Probably not but I love doing it!