Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award. >

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 PM

I think awards are not only given not only on set quantifiable standards, but also on what appeals to a judge on any given day. What calls to the eye of the beholder cannot help but subconsciously influence a decision. Therefore, unless I were wanting to learn how to create award winning quilts I personally would not let that influence whether I take a particular class. If I were interested in the subject of a class, I would seek out input on the ability to teach.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 PM

Classes for me are determined by subject or pattern. Yes if Theresa quilter I like I will definitely take a class with them but I will also take classes on things I want to learn even if I have never heard of the teacher
Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 AM

The same can be said for students - some want to follow a pattern to the letter and some want to learn a technique to apply to future projects of their choosing. Read the course description carefully and choose what works for you. I don't care about the awards, but I do care about the content. I always appreciate an instructor who has a sense of humor and who is kind. These are things you don't find out in the description, unfortunately.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:38 AM

I am basically self taught and am a rule follower. I read the pattern and go step by step. I now take classes when there is something I want to learn and because I want to work with a group. I love the fun of a group sewing project and I always learn something. Yesterday at a class someone actually thanked me for a suggestion I made and said she learned from me. I was delighted! I have no desire to enter competitions but I love the quilts I create. My favorite instructor quilted a quilt that was in “Primitive Quilts” I was so excited to tell her and then I found out she does work for several “famous” names and is in all sorts of books.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:58 AM

A master quilter does not necessarily make a master instructor.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:09 AM

Well said! Not everyone is a teacher.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I think it depends on what class they're teaching. Some classes are about technique, or how to use a gadget, or how to make a block faster with a certain method. I don't care if anyone has won an award or not, if they know something that I can learn, then I want to talk to them, or take their class. If you limit yourself to only show winners, you'll be missing out on a lot of knowledge.
A wonderful response! "If they know something that I can learn, then I want to talk to them."
Jenny Doan uses the lines on the cutting mat to cut her fabric. Most of us know that we need to use the marks on the ruler for most cuts. Otherwise, Jenny is a great teacher. Glean whatever you can from any teacher.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

It never occurred to me whether the teacher had awards or not. I go for what they teach and that's it.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:44 AM

I've taken classes from two very well-known instructors. Award winners, who had both been on TV quilting shows etc. One was a "Wow, hope this class never ends." class and one was a "Wow, can't wait for this class to end." class. Both classes advertised as being an "Introduction to Feathers".

I think it's more important than what they've done to research what they are actually teaching. The class should be clear on what its goals are and what you can expect out of it from the instructor, not vague.
I will never just take a class again based on a name, (Of the class or the instructor) ,but will ask a bunch of questions first and want samples of the work we will be doing.

Watson
Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM

I prefer non award. Although I loved Sharon Shamber for one of our guild classes. She is the best.
Otherwise, other "famous" quilters are always in the mode of "can't get out of here fast enough". Reminding everyone....start putting things away....you only have 20 minutes left. I paid for those last 20 minutes.....I always feel cheated somewhat when they do that.