Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking a sewing machine on a plane >

taking a sewing machine on a plane

taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 02-08-2014, 02:36 PM

We flew southwest in August and DH carried one of my featherweights on in its original black case. We had no problems. It did go up above and on one plane, had to "ride" on its side. I think the inner lining of the box got a little scratched up due to shifting but for me, it was a small price to pay. I made curtains for our guest room when we got to the condo and was so glad that we brought it.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 PM

I just traveled this past week to FL on Delta with my Janome Gem in a rolling carry on bag. I took out the needle and thread holder pin, and packed those with the extra feet and accessories in my checked bag. I stored my carryon in the overhead, but could have put under the seat if need be. We had no problems going through security. I'll be bring it back to Ohio next week but don't expect any problems.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Several years ago I traveled from Michigan to California on Delta and took my Janome. I packed it in a regular carry-on sized suitcase and placed it in the overhead bin. I did have help from some very nice male passengers to lift it up/down for me. The only problem I had was from a very rude TSA agent in San Francisco who started asking questions about my weight, I'm a "wee bit of a thing" as one doctor once said, and some bruises she happened to see on my arms. I had been carrying heavy uniforms on wood hangers and sleeping on the bottom bunk on a bus for almost 3 weeks but even though I told her that, she continued to ask about "was I safe, going home to a good situation", etc. This was in front of everyone in line! I was so embarrassed and finally said if she wanted to talk anymore, take me to a room. I was done!! It was a good thing she couldn't see my legs. Getting things off the floor and out of the bottom of a bus everyday leaves one with quite a few bruises. Called and reported it but I never heard anything about it. As far as the machine went, it was a piece of cake and I'm glad I had it rather than having to take the time to learn about the old machine they had. Good luck whatever you decide. Oh, I did do the early boarding so I knew I would have the overhead bin.