Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking thread off the sewing machine >

Taking thread off the sewing machine

Taking thread off the sewing machine

Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 AM

My presser foot has 2 levels. When it is all the way up, it opens the tension disks and I pull the thread. Seems OK.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:03 AM

The dealer where I bought my new machine last year said to never pull it back through the tension discs. I always did with the older machines but I don't want to take any chances with this one.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 AM

I really don't know what the problem is. Most dealers will tell you to snip the thread and pull from the needle end so that's what I usually do. Some things don't make sense, but once a dealer has advised me to do a certain thing, why not do it?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM

I just asked about this when I bought a new machine and the dealer said it shouldn't hurt the machine to pull the thread out by the spool - UNLESS - you have a broken thread or it shreds behind the needle. Then you risk lint and fuzz in the tension discs.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM

Re: the lint thing. I've heard the pros say for years - don't pull your thread backwards through the tension discs. I'm too much of a penny pincher to waste thread, so I unthread my machine. I take the spool off the spool holder, move it toward the thread path (is thread path a viable term??), at which point, the thread becomes slack; I then gently remove it with my forefinger. There is no pulling of the thread. It's easy done and just takes a nanosecond.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
Have the same thing with my new Bernina 830. Wastes a little thread, but much better than ruining an expensive machine. Also doing it now on my other machines.

mltquilt
How do you like your 830? A tad pricey but has me dreaming anyway!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM

When I bought my Babylock Sewing/Embroidery machine, I was told by the person who taught the classes to cut top thread near the spool and pull the thread out through the needle to prevent lint that would build up in the machine. I have just gotten in the habit of doing this with all my machines now.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by BettyM
I have heard that you should never pull your thread back out of the tension disks when you are changing thread on your sewing machine, be it DSM or longarm. Is this true and what is the reason? I don't want to harm my machines, although I have been doing this with my Viking Rose ever since we bought it new in the 90's and have no problems with it after all these years.
I am overwhelmed by the number of problems I didn't know existed until I started reading the threads on this board! My Kenmore cam machine is more than 50 years old and has been in the shop twice, both times just to be cleaned well, and I've always pulled the thread out which ever way was easiest at the moment. My Janome is 12 years old, same thing. And I use Coats and Clark thread because I think it's wonderful and I can afford to buy it, so it isn't the use of high dollar thread that has made the difference. froggyintexas
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM

There has been many threads on this subject. After seeing the thread some time ago, I talked with my repair man. He said it shouldn't damage the machine either way you do it. I think I will keep saving the extra thread. After sewing for some 55+ years & not having the machine mess up because pulling the thread out backwards, I'm not to worried about any problems. If it is because of lint build up, I will take the time to brush it out. I'm with Scissor Queen, if your machine is that touchy, it isn't worth having.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Follow your dealer's instructions, not what people here say. Your dealer is going to be the one honoring (or not) your warranty on the machine. Any newer computerized sewing machine owner will be told NOT to pull the thread out backwards. And I surely wouldn't tell you otherwise and risk the longevity of your machine.
I have the new 830 and this is what my dealer told me. (He is a master technician of the 830 and helped design and test it.)
You're not supposed to pull it backwards because there is a sensor up there that has a flap sort of thingy that goes in one direction. But with a very slow, even motion you can remove the thread without causing any damage.

The educators always tell you not to because most people are just gonna yank the heck out of the thread, and if the thread loops around the sensor up there and you're pulling too fast or to tightly on the thread, you're going to bend the flap.

An ocasional backwards pull will be fine but don't make it a habit.