Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking your Treasures >

Taking your Treasures

Taking your Treasures

Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 PM

I use a small tackle box. It is stocked with a duplicate set of all my necessary small notions. I never unpack it, so I never forget anything. I sew "away from home" at least four times a month, so it is well worth the $.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:03 PM

Bionic gear bag
Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Onebyone, I remember the Caboodle. In fact I have 2 that I still use. One sits by my floor frame and holds my quilting supplies and the other depends on where I want to set up my hand piecing or sewing.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I believe in lugging along as little as I can, so everything I really need to use fits in a bank deposit bag I've had since the shop ownership days.
http://www.nordisco.com/products/sec..._term=PMC04620

My rulers fit into the rotary mat carrier I made.
Attached Thumbnails cutting-mat-carrier.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I have a case very similar to the one you linked to. I got mine at a thrift store. Depends what all you want to carry. It's small (look at the dimensions) scissors, measuring tape, rotary cutter. Would not carry even a small ruler or mini cutting mat. There are no 'tall' compartments in this case, so nothing taller than 2" will fit, not even a pincushion. It's sturdy, but heavy. This style is called a train case. If you look on amazon, they have lots of options, larger sizes etc. I don't carry it anywhere just use it to keep some of my small notions together at the cottage.
When I was going back and for various classes, I used the 6X9 snapware cases:
https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-6-In...SYG8PWJ8YGYHNK
The link has the one with a divided section. Joanns carries compatible ones without the dividers, also deeper versions pretty inexpensively. I got a couple sets. I put rotary cutter, extra blades, scissors in one, measuring tools in another, thread in another etc. The nice thing is depending on the project, I could just grab the containers that I would need for that project. I didn't rely on the handle, just snapped them together & put it in an open tote. Worked well for me.
If you could provide a list of what you want to bring, we could provide better direction.
I second the idea of going to a hardware store or harbor freight.
Do you like the case? Does it handle well? I'm worried about its construction... thank you!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I believe in lugging along as little as I can, so everything I really need to use fits in a bank deposit bag I've had since the shop ownership days.
http://www.nordisco.com/products/sec..._term=PMC04620

My rulers fit into the rotary mat carrier I made.
thank you!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
I use a small tackle box. It is stocked with a duplicate set of all my necessary small notions. I never unpack it, so I never forget anything. I sew "away from home" at least four times a month, so it is well worth the $.
thank you! Doubling up is what I'm looking forward to.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Bionic gear bag
Something like this?
http://pin.it/XBRgj4e
Old 12-22-2016, 10:36 PM

For years i collected Longaberger baskets. First I got what they called a large purse to use as a sewing basket, but then as time went by and they came out with what they call the cake basket with inserts to make 2 layers and a divided top insert which makes a wonderful sewing basket. And then there was a small picnic basket, it's the same size and shape as the cake basket but the lid is attached where the cake basket's lid is not. I use one for hand embroidery, the other is just for machine sewing or EPP. If I am going to take my travel machine then my extras (mat, scissors, and rulers) are already in with the machine case. When I travel out of town with a suitcase then I take a larger mat and it fits in the top of the suitcase.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:45 PM

I have a mat bag that has inside pockets for other items--that is what I use for mats, notions, etc. When I go to a retreat I hae a large plastic tote with a sturdy handled that I use to haul projects.