Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk me out of making a Storm at Sea quilt! >

Talk me out of making a Storm at Sea quilt!

Talk me out of making a Storm at Sea quilt!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Well, I'll only talk you out of it if you talk me out of it! There is one hanging up where my quilt guild meets and every time I see it, I want to make it! I would have to go with the paper pieced method for sure! I've got so much going on right now I keep talking myself out of starting another long term project. Maybe when I get the Civil War Tribute done and then the Pony Express done and then, etc. LOL
Debbie in KY
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Oh go ahead and make one - when I was young and foolish in the very early 80s, BEFORE I was a quilter, I saw a picture and directions for a 46 inch square Storm at Sea in a women's magazine and fell in love with it. With some garment sewing experience, no quilting experience or tools, and directions in hand I chose this pattern as my FIRST quilt. It has bad points, bad contrast and fabric(not really my fault-early 80s was a tough time to find 100% cotton for quilts)selection, the binding and hand quilting is hilarious, but I love that thing! It brought me into a wonderful world of quilting!! I think I need to make another one...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM

It's on my list. In fact, I think I have kit somewhere.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Too late to talk you out of it; you and this thread have talked me INTO it! Hopefully we can greatly expand the Storm at Sea section in the photos here!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM

I seldom make two quilts off the same pattern...but I made a Storm at Sea several years
ago. I did not think it was that difficult and it turned out very pretty. Then a couple years
ago I saw another pattern by the same name, but the way they put together the different
shades, it actually looked like there were circular pieces...but all cuts were straight...it was
just the play of the navy in certain positions that made it that way. It was really an eye-
catcher and again I didn't find it difficult. Mine were both machine pieced and hand quilted.
Give it a try, I don't think you will find it to be difficult.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 PM

Default Storm At Sea can be done

I've made one and am tieing the second one. The 1970's book I got the pattern from calls it challenging, and it is . Mainly because there are so many pieces. But everything starts with rectangles and squares.
The worse part I feel is the constant pressing needed to block the rectangles and blocks. And I am still not good with corners, but on this second one the motion of the patterns is true. If you want something to zone out with this is a good project. I'll try to show you a section, because it's a huge king quilt .
Attached Thumbnails 028.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 AM

Definitely do it with a paper pieced pattern and starch your fabric to prevent stretching.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM

You can do it! Yes, you can. My second ever quilt was Storm at Sea in Amish blues. I made the entire piece by HAND. What was I thinking? But now I'm very proud of the quilt. Can't figure out how to post pictures correctly or would send pic to show it off.

Go for it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
mim

Has anyone ever had a problem with silverfish when you used starch and stored your quilt?? I know that silverfish love to live in old books that used glues and starch in the bindings.

I lived in old houses for many years and never dared to use starch

Mim
Old 12-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Default no way

Originally Posted by IngeMK View Post
Or, enable me and show me yours!
I enjoyed making this quilt and would never talk anyone out of trying it... I ended up giving it to my oldest granddaughter as a wedding present... had the top already made when she said she was getting married and believe or not the quilt had the colors that she had used in the wedding... boy did I luck out..
Attached Thumbnails 2011-hollys-wedding.jpg