Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tamed my fabric stash...... >

Tamed my fabric stash......

Tamed my fabric stash......

Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM

Looks great. Sorry the quilt inspector lost her favorite napping place tho. :-)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 AM

I'm warming to the idea of the boards, but not there yet. Still in the white 28 qt. storage boxes. Still a pain to find what I want, but then I get to rummage through all the boxes of fabrics looking for the perfect piece. Nice going on organizing your stash. Love your quilt inspector. I have three - 2 kitties and a dog!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 AM

Your stash looks wonderful - don't you just love being able to see it? As for yardage - I labeled a few of my pieces (just pinned a scrap of paper with the yardage written on it). But, my boards are 10" so I know one wrap is 20", two is 40" so close to a yard. I just count the wraps for a rough estimate - much like counting wraps on a bolt in the fabric store. Hope this helps! Enjoy your new 'store' :-)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 AM

Boy! I can only dream of being that organized. Looks wonderful.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 AM

I spent January going through my stash. I read Bonnie Hunt's Leaders and Enders for inspiration and cut, cut, cut some "offensive" odd pieces! Now I have little stacks already cut up that I have found really inspiring as I piece tops for Project Linus. I also have stacks of squares for four and nine patch "L & E's" right by my machine and I absolutely can not believe how many I have gotten together effortlessly. Bonnie's a genius!
And my stash is so much more accessible! I have a stack of projects ready and waiting and I can actually see everything now if I need something. I used a two sided book case and have it free standing in my guest room. Following trips to Mardens in Maine and to Marshall Dry Goods in Arkansas last year, I had to get organized! Yes, I am the lucky quilter whose DH sends her back into quilt/fabric shops because she hasn't bought enough yet! LOL!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Looks great O need to get a better handle on mine
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by beckalou View Post
I do have one question............how do you mark your individual fabric pieces for yardage amount? As you can see in the picture, the little return address labels are not sticking very well.

The quilt inspector is a bit upset about this new arrangement in the shelving unit. See that lower right cube of homespuns & quilting books? It used to have a few pieces of nice soft flannel laying in it & she claimed it as her very own napping area......now she has chosen a new spot on a folded up comforter in the master bedroom closet.
I have a roll of adding machine tape. I cut off about 5 inches and write all my info on it and stick the paper in the fold of the fabric. I can even note on it if the fabric has been washed or not, or any other info I think I need. LOL It's so much easier this way!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Your stash looks great and is so much more accessible. You might want to think of another way to mark your fabric amounts as any kind of sticky label can leave residue on the fabric if it's stored for a while. I had some fat quarters with labels on the fold that left a sticky mess. I was able to cut around it but I was glad it was just fat quarters.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Looks great. I have a question ... what is comic book board?
Thank you for sharing your good looking organization of fabric. I really need to get organized!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 AM

I love the look...now come to my house. lol