Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taste change in quilting since you started? >

Taste change in quilting since you started?

Taste change in quilting since you started?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 AM

My daughter and I share our love of quilting. We are much differnet in taste she ventured off the tranditional into hand appliques (beautiful work) then she was and is into scrapy quilts of many many colors. I followed her into the applique and now into the scrapy look. the difference is that I even though it's scrapy I do mine in shades of one color so it is scrapy but a little more my style
Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

There is so much to learn. I keep changing. I want to do lots of different things but have to limit myself. I tend to go back to scrappy quilts.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

There is so much to learn. I keep changing. I want to do lots of different things but have to limit myself. I tend to go back to scrappy quilts.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 AM

I started w/ applique as I had done alot of it on sweatshirts, etc., was scared too death to do much piecing work. Am just about finished w/ my scrappy log cabin & am anxious to try some other methods too! The excitement just never quits!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 AM

I love the traditional but I love to venture out and make something different. I just wish things moved faster than they do. I have so much I want to do!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 AM

I have learned the hard way to NOT get rid of magazines or books just because I currently do not like the patterns in them. I figure if I give it a few months and look again, I probably will find I like something. Last year, I was really into Sunbonnet Sue. Now I don't really care for her at all. Now I want to figure out how to do bias strip embellishments. Probably in a few months, I'll tackle something else.

As for fabric, my tastes have changed very little. What I didn't like years ago, I still don't like. I hate busy prints like Kaffe and am not a fan of Amy Butler. I don't like 30s prints much at all, and I rarely add batiks to my stash. I have branched out into new colors, but pretty much stick to my favorites.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 AM

When I first got started it was all about the traditional and the pastels. My favorites were those from the 30's. Now I find myself drawn to more contrasts and the brighter stronger colors. Not that I will ever give up all those quilts I bought at the farm auctions in Nebraska :lol: The most I ever paid for one of those beauties is $35. They will always be my first love.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 AM

I have done and still do both old patterns, new patterns and my own patterns, especially applique. Just designed: appliqued pot holder with a snowman made from Insul-Brite complete with a stand, hat, arms, scarf and all the regular thing you do when your make a snowman. Just one item, wish I could change, I didn't have any orange thread to make a carrot nose.. He is so cute. Hopefully the recipient will put a picture of him on line.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 AM
nab

I agree. I have changed from my younger quilting. I do love traditional patterns, but have done and loved others. I still do not like to do art quilting. I like to do samplers because all the blocks are different. I also like to English paper piece and applique when I'm in the mood for handwork. My taste in fabric seems to shift from time to time. My one true passion is pink roses. I try to go outside my comfort zone. It is always good to have new experiences and adventures with patterns and fabric.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 AM

I haven't been quilting that long maybe a year or two, but I still love the old patterns and the 30's fabric, which is my favorite, but I just about love all the fabrics, its always hard to choose when I go to buy, but I usually always wind up with the the lighter colors. Hope each of you have a wonderful day.