Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teach Me Please-paperpiecing from photo image >

Teach Me Please-paperpiecing from photo image

Teach Me Please-paperpiecing from photo image

Old 08-17-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Footnote to the UK site. I had problems loading it and then when I got ready to submit my information and photo, it wanted me to sign a release to my picture that the site could use it in any magazine or periodical at their will and that they now owned the photo. I respectfully declined and deleted my work. But it did seem like a super easy way to make half-square triangles into a face, flower or animal.
I looked at the UK site too. Your computer does that to every image on its pages! Only, the pixels it makes are much tinier. It is hard to see how the people in the UK could copyright that universal process and how they could assume control of your photo, without copyright conflict with your rights or the rights of the person who originally took the photo. Usually,if you are going to make ONE copy of a graphic image for yourself there is no problem..
And if you took the photo you own the rights. I suggest that if you didn't take that photo, you can take some pictures of old barns yourself and use them. jp the quilter
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Now, do I just cut and applique....I really do not want to do that. I want to say take the side of barn and actually sew two piece of brown together and then go back with thread to create the worn look. Thank you everyone
This is exactly what I am explaining to you how to do this.
You just make an inexpensive full size blowup of your photo yourself , and use it as a plan to construct your quilt from.

There are other ways people can get their plan, use a projector, and trace the image on a large piece of paper,
or go to the store and have one made for you which is expensive.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 AM

By the way, I forgot to say this. GOOD LUCK with your quilting project! jpthequilter
Old 08-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Thank you, jpthequilter. Machine applique seems to be a lot of fun but I do not like the raw edges showing. With my arthritic fingers I am unable to turn, iron and stitch very easy. What stitch do you use in joining the two fabrics?

While I have tried blanket stitch, serpentine and zigzag, it really does not look too professional...laughing here. I am no pro but I sure what to do the best I can. Anyway, yours looks like a very tight satin stitch which I will try this afternoon.

Thanks again for your continued interest in my experimenting. Yes, all the photos are mine which I have taken over the years and the reason I did not want to send my photos to the UK site.

I saw on my computer the pixels when enlarged so will give that a try too. Thanks again and happy stitching....
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Oh, got a funny for you......my DH is a retired engineer....bet you all know what is coming! Anyway, I said last night, "Look, I made a roof line for a barn or church with a steeple and all!" Oh I was so proud of myself. And then he gave me a wink and replied, "Well, it is too wide for a steeple and for a coupala it is too tall and wrong siding."

GOSH, I only was matching seam lines and having fun. But we both laughed about his "punching" out my work. This morning a dear friend came to sew with me, and she cracked up laughing because her DH is in architecture/construction and he frequently "punches" her work too.

So glad neither hubby takes us wives and our quilting too serious. Such fun!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Think of a little house shape. take a piece of plain computer paper. fold the paper in half the long way to get a long center guideline. Draw half a house on it, turn it over and trace the other half. Now cut out the house out, and also cut along the fold lines. You will have 3 pieces. Take the house piece and draw a roof line in an upside down V, about a half inch wide. Cut that out too, and cut it in two pieces along the fold line. Now you have 5 pieces.
Take the body of the house and pin it to some interesting fabric. Both Right side out. Take an pencil or pen and draw around the shape of the house on the fabric. then draw a seam allowance around that, at least 1/4" or a bit more wide. Cut out the house on the outside of the seam lines.
Then do the same thing to each of the halves of the roof pieces.
You will have 3 cut out pieces. Using a straight stitch, and right sides together, sew one of the roof pieces to the
edge of the house, open it and finger press with a little
piece of wood. Then sew the other half of the roof on the same way.
Now you still have 2 halves of the space outside the house. You can cut those across just at the bottom line of the house.
Take each of the upper halves and lay them right side up on some blue fabric, draw around them twice to get the seam allowance, cut them out. and with wrong sides together, sew them onto the house, bendihg them to fit.
They will flatten out.
Now if you want, you can tape the two bottom pattern pieces back together and trace and cut them out and sew them onto the bottom of the sky and house, to finish the block.
It is the "how to" you are learning. You will discover it is not necessary to draw the line around the edge of the pattern, just the one around the seam allowance. Every piece has to have a seam allowance.
It is not paper piecing. It is fabric piecing.Remember join them by right sides together, unless it is an applique
About the details...Like a door and windows.
There are two ways to do this, you can cut and sew, piecing them or you can applique them on top.
In some cases you can simply straight stitch a rectangle with the seams folded under - the lines of stitches being the lines of detail on the fabric image you are making.
For the tree, The straight or curved topstitched lines along the edges will blend in with the rest of the stitching to deliniate its bark.
This is just a practice to show you how plain piecing technique is used to produce a landscape quilt top.
If you can possibly find it - buy a copy of Ruth Mc Dowell
Landscape or flowers books. She uses this technique. and also is a very nice lady, and we were acquainted when I lived in Woburn.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Hi jpthequilter - your written instructions must have been getting to me via the air waves of thoughts because I have been playing all afternoon in such a way as you describe. But I think I will end up with a combination of both piecing and applique. I am quickly learning that I best be for making scenes-buildings bigger because this is just as bad on my fingers as some 6-1/2 appliqued flower blocks I was recently doing. If I get a chance later in evening I will post my church...the steeple is still not right. lol Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM

So is it worth keeping and plugging along with ideas? Nothing is sewn down yet; I am just thinking and getting mind boggled. lol Steeple must have some brown to sit the top upon and I will have to cut it from plain color I was using as a backing before coming up with this idea.

Windows too big - don't you think?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]243335[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-243329.jpe  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Just my opinion but for a back ground I can see a washed out purple lavendar for a mountain range and blue cloudy sky to make this all come togather. Really like what you have done so far.
JeanneZ
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 AM

actually looking at it again I really like the fabric that you have this laying on would make a great background I think. You must realize I am not a designer I always follow someone elses pattern.