Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teacher vs Quilt Police >

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 AM

It's hard to be really good at two things at the same time. Your teacher is trying to be an expert quilter and also an expert teacher at the same time. She's probably spent more time honing her quilting skills than she has honing her teaching skills.

I vote for being forgiving, but also being clear with her and let her know that you don't feel good about how she teaches. As someone else said, use the "I feel" statements to help keep her from getting defensive. Her teaching method might work GREAT for some people; it's not that she has bad technique necessarily, it's just that she hasn't matched her teaching style up to your learning style.

I used to do training as part of my job, and I wasn't very good at it at first even though I knew the subject matter VERY well. I had to learn how to detect people's learning styles and cater my training methods to how they learn best. Some people learn by reading, some by doing, some by detailed explanation; some like lots of compliments, some get impatient at compliments; some like you to be light and jovial, some like you to be dead serious; some like a hard challenge, some like to be spoon-fed. I would have up to 8 people at a time in class and it's a separate skill all of its own to remember and juggle all those various personality quirks and also get the subject matter successfully taught to everybody.

So give her some feedback; let her know that you will have an easier time learning if she can spend a little more time pointing out where you are having successes and showing improvement. If she's interested in being a teacher, she will appreciate the feedback.