Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teacher vs Quilt Police >

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Teacher vs Quilt Police

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM

My first quilting teacher always said " remember this is your quilt, don't let anyone tell what color, pattern or size you should or shouldn't do and as my mother always said "if you run by it you won't notice!"
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Unfortunately, we all people we don't jive with. I had a well known teacher when I took my first quilting class at Empty Spools who had wonderful presentations, but kind of pressured me to have a finished or nearly finished project for the end of session open house. On the other hand, I did manage to get all the blocks done and up for the open house.

It depends on the mix of students as well because it seems to be that sometimes if there are quick learners (either very confident beginners or experienced) for the technique, the teacher may also end up pushing the others harder.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 AM

Location: living in Hampton Roads area (Chesapeake, VA) originally from S Beloit, IL

After reading the posts, I agree with them. Teachers and students have special relationships. Learn techniques and skills. Your quilts are each individual creative pieces. I do counted cross stitch. I have missed many a single stitch but the designers/shopowners where I live are not quick to critize(sp). What you are doing is suppose to be enjoyable -NOT FULL OF STRESS. My fellow stitchers will point out things they notice and usually turns into a teaching...this is how I do this or that. The concensus is "if you're happy, that's all that counts." Life is a classroom. There are people who are booksmart that can't apply what they know. Then there are the others....who do you want to be?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 AM

I have been quilting for about a year now and I definitely learn more from positive comments than negative. I haven't taken any classes other than tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Company. When I make a mistake I know it and see it myself. If I don't want to make that same mistake again I learn from it and try to do better the next time. Learning tips from others is much more enjoyable than classes. Jenny Doan and her family are the best.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 AM

Life is too short....move on to someone new. I have been in the same situation once.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 AM

I see this happen at the clinic we hold to help our 4H kids with their sewing project. Some helpers seem to be all about pointing out what is wrong. I prefer to give praise on what looks good, then point out what areas i see that are weak and offer ideas on how to improve or in some cases make a "mistake" work.

In one example a child used fabric that was not the best choice for the garment she was making(less than 2 weeks before judging). the others kept telling her to go buy a different fabric, how wrong it was, why it would never work etc. i spoke up and said, while it's not the best choice in fabric, since you have come this far with it, this is what you can do to make it work. Later the mom thanked me, explaining they really did not have funds to buy more fabric-the Gma had let the child take from her fabric stash for her project.

(Don't ask me why the schedule this clinic that late in the season-I'm just a volunteer!)
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Forgive me, but IMHO, this is not a a hobby/passion for a means to make a living or compete for professional applications.
I believe most of us do this as an artistic release,, and/or a release from the stresses from everyday life...sort of, ...therapy. As teacher of young children for over 20+ years, I know that the more expectations and stress you put on someone who is in the learning stage, the more they withdraw and cease to take chances (be artistic).
I say down with the Quilting Police, and onward with the Joy of Quilting! I truly feel that inspiration comes first, then the pursuit of technique/perfection. Again, IMHO.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
RDM

Every instructor IMO should bring expertise and an excitement that creates a love of craft along with encouraging instruction. Time to find an instructor that fits your personality maybe? That said, don't be too hard on you as you're learning. Don't give up, have FUN. Not everyone can teach though they may be experts. I like to learn tips and tricks for improvement so I don't repeat mistakes. I had a similar situation and chose never to take a class with that instructor again. Find a group of quilting ladies and enjoy the process.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM

Maybe the question is whether you feel the type of criticism she gives could be helpful to you. Would you be learning better skills or just a different way of doing what you already do? If you can see the good in it, just try to come away with that and tell yourself you're also learning to develop a tougher hide in the process. Perhaps she needs a little negative feedback herself as to her teaching skills!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
We are hearing only one perspective here. It's quite likely the teacher would be very surprised by the description of events. Whether she's a sweetie-pie or a sweat-shop slave driver, she might be totally unaware of how you perceive and receive her delivery.

there are too many unanswered (and unanswerable) questions for any of us to give you any reliable feedback. for instance ...
is she actually mean or are you actually insecure and overly sensitive?
is she merely straightforward in order to not waste the time you are paying for?
do you want to be spoonfed and coddled vs taught?
or is she, in fact, an imperious dragon who chose the wrong profession?

we can't know.

have a calm, factual, heart-to-heart discussion with her.
provide clear, accurate examples of the things that bother you.
give her a fair chance to meet you on common, satisfying ground.
This may have been said, because I'm responding without reading everything after this comment (but I will), use a lot of "I" in your comments. "You" is heard as critical, "I" is not. so rather than "You yell at me," say "I feel like I am being yelled at." It's the difference between intent and import, as in what you heard is not what I said.