Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching the kiddos >

Teaching the kiddos

Teaching the kiddos

Old 09-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Teaching the kiddos

I have given my kids the opprotunity to sew an item for their 4H projects. I know this seems strange for 4H much less boys. Here is the reason. They did not complete their projects last year that they chose even after we invested the money into them. So this year I decided that if they want to try they can but if they bail on the projects I can then finish them off and sell them and recoop the money invested. If they stick to it and complete them then fine they can keep them. So, here is my problem. What projects would be easy for them with no sewing experience at all. I have my old machine that they can use which is just a basic straight stitch machine. No fancy stuff. One would like to do an American Flag no problem there. The other one wants to make a 4H quilt for his bed (ambitious little thing isnt he?) So what pattern or patterns would be good for him that will also work with the 4H theme. For those of you who arent familar with 4H its shamrocks. Next issue, how do I teach a 15 year old with learning disabilities and an 11 year (the ambitious one) how to sew. Yes, I know this seems like a stupid question but I have to admit I do not have the most patience in the world. Good news is the 11 year old wanted to try something today so I let him try to applique a leaf onto a quilt I was working on and amazingly he did a really good job. Maybe this is an omen that teaching him will be easier than I think. Any of you that have taught kids how to sew please any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love for at least one of my kids to learn and love it as much as I do since after all kids are the future and the art of quilting will disappear if the younger generations dont learn it.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 PM

For the one who wants to make a quilt maybe a T-shirt rag quilt. You could use one layer of flannel and a layer of the T shirt. If you don't have enough T-shirts he could just do two layers of flannel. Then its just straight stitching.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Power Poster

this is a very simple shamrock quilt. the 12" blocks are snowballed on 3 corners. the sashing and border are 2". the finished size is 60x88, which will fit generously on a twin bed. i designed this for you in my EQ5
[ATTACH=CONFIG]436048[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails shamrock-quilt-60x88-12-block-2-sash-border.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 AM

Your 4-H leaders should be able to help you with curriculum as well as information on the exhibit categories available at the fair. QuiltnNan's pattern looks nice and might be achievable, but there are 4 leaves in the 4-H shamrock, and they each have a symbolic meaning for its members -- head, heart, hands, and heath if I remember correctly.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't quite understand the (*especially boys*) comment----guys are wonderful quilters, have been designers, taylors, textile designers through out history....women are the 'newbies' to the textile world...in Victorian days ladies sat & worked on 'fancy hand work' but men created wondrous fashions, home décor...and boys LOVE getting to use machines! sewing machines are no different. when we do our annual pre-school quilts it is the boys who are always the most excited to get to sew with the machine- the little girls are often timid & more than willing to let one of the boys do that part for them. when my nephew started quilting some woman made a comment about it being odd---he turned around and said--- 'you sewing is the 'odd' thing- women have no imaginations & need patterns to follow- guys know how to envision & create' (yup- he's a little opinionated and all man!) don't let 'gender' effect your attitude about projects- you may just find its the boys who have the 'color sense', imagination and creativity to produce some wonderful projects.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:36 AM

What about a penny quilted pillow. I am thinking about making one of those. They can use a few old wool skirts or an old wool jacket. They also could share the wool clothing they find...just have them wash them to felt them several times in the washing machine. They could also use old suit coats for the pillow backing.

Last edited by carolaug; 09-15-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 AM

What kind of learning disabilities? Really they shouldn't get in the way unless he has difficulties reading and even then slow and steady with moms help should be golden. Patterns for kids I always like to recommend Yellow Brick Road. It's a super simple first quilt were he won't have to worry about matching corners and points. Before jumping into the quilt I have my kids make a few small things to get feel of what they are doing. Mug rugs, needle books, tote bags, a pillow case and wall hangings are my first semester then the quilt is second.

Good Luck with your 4H projects I hope you have fun with it. :-)

T
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM

QuiltNan, thanks so much for working that up on EQ for me. That design would be great and still will work even with having to add a fourth leaf to accomodate the 4H's as Daylesewblessed metions. Just add a fourth block instead of the stem. Ckcowl, I guess I should have been more specific, I personally see no problem with guys with sewing, quilting, designing, etc. I should have mentioned its more the place we live. Trust me it wont go over well and they will most likely get picked on. We live in the abyss of redneck land. LOL Oh well, someone is always gonna find a reason to pick. Ill just teach the kids a nice response that mentions Versace, Hilfilger, Hugo Boss, among the many others. Plumtree, the older one has a form of Autism known as Aspergers. He does have lots of trouble comprohending directions and such but that can be overcome by watching so I will have to show everything a couple of times and just be patient. I am most likely overthinking the whole thing and should just relax after all noone is expecting this to be perfect especially me considering I am not even close to perfect. I was thinking of Yellow Brick Road for a pattern. That was one of the first that I did and it turned out great, was alot of fun to piece since as you mentioned there is not much worry about points and such, also it ended up being the first quilt I ever place with in a show. Thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments and suggestions. Keep them coming everyone. Will be starting on these projects in most likely the next two weeks once the group leaders approves them.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM

One way to make the 4H shamrock easily would be to do it out of yo-yos.

And yes, boys/men are often very good at such things. Two of my guys have done quite well with costuming, one moving on to now making and designing steam punk leather items - top hats, goggles, etc.

If the interest is there, encourage it and they will do well. Interest overcomes many learning disabilities! Lack of interest means doomed from the start whether there are learning issues or not.

Let them have fun with it!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 AM

I cant believe I didnt think of this before. I could start them off of some wheelchair bags. They are super easy to assemble, will get them started on the basics of learning to operate the machine, and best of all will count toward their community service portion of the program if we donate them to a local hospital or nursing home. Thanks everyone.