Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt >

Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt

Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt

Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM

That sounds like so much fun! (For both of you...)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM

That is so exciting - love it when children are so eager to learn.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
sounds like she is so excited you will need to schedule the breaks! I know that is what it's like when my goddaughter comes to sew with me. She NEVER wants to stop! Last summer, while sewing, her father was upset because she didn't want to go swimming; she'd rather sew! Her first quilt is almost done. I did the cutting but she did everything else by herself with only supervision on my end. her quilt is set 7x7, made of 8" finished squares, culled from my stash, mostly dog and cat prints. Definitely represents 8-year-old style--hee hee. all that is left is to add the borders and quilt and bind. We're waiting for her mother to have a free weekend so I can have another "playdate" with my Lily.
I'm sure you're right!! She will probably wear me out, but I love it!! She wants to do it all herself, cutting and everything. Which is fine, because I will be right by her side holding the cutting ruler while she cuts it. We had a blast picking out fabrics from my stash and shopping for the rest yesterday. We stopped to eat at Mc Donald's and she had the fabrics spread out all over the table and told me which fabric she wanted for every section of the quilt. She had a definite flair for picking out great colors and patterns that would work together. I had to give her very little advice. She immediately told me at the fabric store that as soon as she finishes this quilt, she wants to make a puppy dog quilt because she has a dog that she adores. So if she is already thinking about her next quilt, I think I may have a little friend for life!! How fun!!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM

This is so sweet! For one you will be teaching this young lady to quilt but also she will be getting one on one time with someone. I bet she will really enjoy it. :) Good for the both of you!! :thumbup: Please share when you all are done. I would love to see it.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
This is so sweet! For one you will be teaching this young lady to quilt but also she will be getting one on one time with someone. I bet she will really enjoy it. :) Good for the both of you!! :thumbup: Please share when you all are done. I would love to see it.
Will do!!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Great for both of you!
I have tried to sew with my daughter's Girl Scout troop, and although we have done fleece projects, most seem less than enthused about doing anything with fabric. I have offered to let them pick anything to make & fabric @ the store. One said "I don't like fabric"...not sure what she means by that, as she wears it everyday;) My daughter sews, but none of her friends sew, nor do the mothers...that includes mending. Most of them are more concerned with fashion with the "right labels". There seems to be no interest by the mothers to have their daughters learn anything about sewing either. One mother said "you are so quaint"! I think she meant old or old-fashioned, which I accept as a compliment.
I am jealous that you have such a great little girl to teach & share with. My daughter doesn't like to let her friends know she sews, as she does not want to be called quaint...LOL. I have given my daughter a good used sewing machine of her own just within the last few weeks & hope she will dabble a bit with it again, maybe when no one is looking;)
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM

How wonderful for you and Madison.You'll have to keep us up to date on you alls progress :thumbup:
Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Sandi - what a joy!! To find a youngster that is that enthusiastic!! What a fun adventure for you both!! Way to go!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 PM

That's wonderful !! Hope she keeps her interest.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM

Bless you!! Little girls can be so special, and if one is mentored, she will grow up to be as sweet as you are. I look forward to seeing what she does.