Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt >

Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt

Teaching My Friend's 10 year old Daughter to Quilt

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Enjoy your new student, she sounds so excited to do something new. Don't forget to post some pictures of the WIP. Thank you for teaching the youger children.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Have fun with this project. About 9 years ago I taught my son, his cousin and one of his friends to quilt. The two girls sped through their cutting and sewing but my son took his time. I can still see his head resting on the sewing maching watching the fabric being sewn. The girls I had to check for holes but we found none with my son.

We spent 4 mornings sewing and then in the afternoon we would swim. They were so quiet that my husband came down into the basement to see if we were still there.

They all finished their tops. His friend wanted to quilt her top and has never finished. My neice tied hers. My son tied his.

They are all now in college. It brought a tear to my eye to see my son bring his quilt with him last semester
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM

I taught my Grandson when he was 9 years old how to sew. He's sit between my legs and put his hands on the fabric on each side of the needle and I would guide his hands slowly through the process. His mom took picture after picture. She was so tickled to see him and MaMaw doing that together. I wouldn't allow him to use the rotary cutter, but he was good sewing.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by donac
Have fun with this project. About 9 years ago I taught my son, his cousin and one of his friends to quilt. The two girls sped through their cutting and sewing but my son took his time. I can still see his head resting on the sewing maching watching the fabric being sewn. The girls I had to check for holes but we found none with my son.

We spent 4 mornings sewing and then in the afternoon we would swim. They were so quiet that my husband came down into the basement to see if we were still there.

They all finished their tops. His friend wanted to quilt her top and has never finished. My neice tied hers. My son tied his.

They are all now in college. It brought a tear to my eye to see my son bring his quilt with him last semester
Awwww!! That IS soooo sweet!! And I'm sure your son cherishes that quilt not only because he made it, but also the quality time he got to spend with you while making it.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
I taught my Grandson when he was 9 years old how to sew. He's sit between my legs and put his hands on the fabric on each side of the needle and I would guide his hands slowly through the process. His mom took picture after picture. She was so tickled to see him and MaMaw doing that together. I wouldn't allow him to use the rotary cutter, but he was good sewing.
That is sooo awesome. My grandkids are all 3 infants right now, so I have a long way to go before I can start teaching them to sew. But with my friend's daughter being so artsy and creative and being so willing to jump into this, I at least get to do what I love . . . quilt and teach. So I am really going to enjoy this!!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Great for both of you!
I have tried to sew with my daughter's Girl Scout troop, and although we have done fleece projects, most seem less than enthused about doing anything with fabric. I have offered to let them pick anything to make & fabric @ the store. One said "I don't like fabric"...not sure what she means by that, as she wears it everyday;) My daughter sews, but none of her friends sew, nor do the mothers...that includes mending. Most of them are more concerned with fashion with the "right labels". There seems to be no interest by the mothers to have their daughters learn anything about sewing either. One mother said "you are so quaint"! I think she meant old or old-fashioned, which I accept as a compliment.
I am jealous that you have such a great little girl to teach & share with. My daughter doesn't like to let her friends know she sews, as she does not want to be called quaint...LOL. I have given my daughter a good used sewing machine of her own just within the last few weeks & hope she will dabble a bit with it again, maybe when no one is looking;)
Yeah, kids are a little weird sometimes. It seems to me that they either LOVE it or they don't. Madison's mom can't sew on a button or fix a hem. She has me fix everything. It's not that she's not capable, because she is the most competent and go getter kind of person I have ever met. Sewing is just not her thing. I learned to sew in a high school home economics class and I loved it from day one. Used to make a lot of clothes for many years. Then when my husband was relocated for a new job 4 hours from where we lived and I didn't know anyone, I decided that I was finally going to take those quilting classes I had always wanted to take. I was hooked from day one and have never looked back!! Since then I am constantly looking for quilting buddies and they aren't all that easy to find in a small town. So, I don't care if she's only 10 and I'm 48! I'll hang out with her and sew any day!!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by insgal62
Since then I am constantly looking for quilting buddies and they aren't all that easy to find in a small town. So, I don't care if she's only 10 and I'm 48! I'll hang out with her and sew any day!!
I totally agree! I had thought about bringing a few machines to school to see if there are any kids who would like to learn after school...with the principal's permission. But, I don't want to step on my daughter's toes...since she may be in hiding regarding sewing:(
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM

I can hardly wait to see the results of the first try. How exciting for both of you.