Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix" >

Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix"

Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix"

Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, Butterfly. I like it. I might try to find some turkey red fabric that matches and try a mock up (basting stitches only).
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mvjess
Here is a thought or two.....

Sew the lattice back to the block with a gentle concave arc to match the convex arc of the block sides. You can still do this by machine and I think it would be more in preservation of the original design. (I do wish I could see what the original quilt looked like as far as the layout goes, perhaps you can find another image like it?) I do not think the sewing will be too much of a challenge compared to the deeper arcs of say Robbing Peter to Pay Paul or Lemon Peel blocks. In the end the lattices will be slightly concave, but the rows should lay flat.
Practice first...
Start with a piece of mylar/template plastic and draw the outline of the blocks arc. then add seam allowance to the inside of the arc. this should be the cutting line of the edge of the striped lattice work. Don't cut it however until you have tried the idea out and know you want to follow through with it! In fact, i'd use a piece of scrap fabric to try it out. Just make a stripe lattice the same size as the ones you have and a solid muslin or denim the size of your blocks, play with them and see if the technique is to your liking. If not, no harm done!

Good Luck! Cathy vJ in MA
I like this idea - these curve are so gentle, you shouldn't have a problem!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 PM

I like the red idea, but a tiny check muslin would be my choice.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 PM

If you appliqued them to a complimentary small print feedsack type fabric it would look very pretty.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM

The idea of sewing the sashing on the curve of the blocks will be too difficult because the curves are on all 4 sides. Trying to make it meet at the "corners" would be very messy. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I don't want to add any patterned fabrics at all. I want to keep it as close to original as possible...so just the natural muslin, red and green. Thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't be appropriate for this one.

I so appreciate everyone's wonderful ideas and suggestions.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
How patient are you and how clever are you?
I thought of the applique solution to but then I thought I wonder how difficult it would be to cut a template for the curved edge, to sew/add on all the corners to bring the block into line? This would give you a head ache I know, but also it would give you a sraight edge to work with. The blocks are so old, I would like to preserve as much of the originally intended design as possible. I am sure because of the mistake this is why they did not get sewn into a quilt in the first place.
I have loved seeing the pictures, do keep us up to speed with what you decide to do won't you!

I agree with this point of view. I wouldn' know where to start, but if you're confident enough to pursue such a project you are probably capable of taking it on. Good luck to you. That will be an awesome quilt when you are finished.

My question is this: Why did she (the quilter) go on and make so many blocks with that same curve? She must have had some idea in mind. It makes one wonder. Curved blocks and straight sashings?

Gal

I'm sorry I made a mess of this, but I'm sure the readers can find my reply in here. It begins with "I agree with this point of view."
Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 AM

I became very curious after reading all the remarks about the red and green Turkey TRacks quilt that JlJack posted. So curious searched on line for Turkey Tracks quilts. Found this site http://www.historic-american.com/19t...ryQuilts.html. It has dozens of antique, etc quilts. Found one turkey tracks that had the main block appliques to a white square background set together with same size blocks of white. Made the Turkey Track block really stand out. I liked it. I envision the Turkey Track blocks side by side and seems to me would be very busy. The picture I sAw on the above web site was very elegant.
Good luck on your decision.
Virginia
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia
I became very curious after reading all the remarks about the red and green Turkey TRacks quilt that JlJack posted. So curious searched on line for Turkey Tracks quilts. Found this site http://www.historic-american.com/19t...ryQuilts.html. It has dozens of antique, etc quilts. Found one turkey tracks that had the main block appliques to a white square background set together with same size blocks of white. Made the Turkey Track block really stand out. I liked it. I envision the Turkey Track blocks side by side and seems to me would be very busy. The picture I sAw on the above web site was very elegant.
Good luck on your decision.
Virginia
I tried, but it is no longer available. That seems so interesting.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 AM

it works if you leave out the part that comes after the /

i don't think a saw what you described. i saw turkey tracks with white alternate blocks, but they didn't appear to be appliqued onto the white. am i wrong?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Yes, I found them, but this doesnt seem to be the same.