Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tee Shirt Quilt - I'm a newbie >

Tee Shirt Quilt - I'm a newbie

Tee Shirt Quilt - I'm a newbie

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks Friends! I cut out squares last night. I have all sizes so I just measured for a 1/2 allowance and measured an inch off of every side of the patterns.

Do you guys suggest tying the quilt or quilting it? I was going to make sandwiches and just do a basic quilt on each one. I don't have a quilting arm and I don't know how to what to do in order to make more of a design on the quilt. And...I think quilting the whole thing won't look as nice since the shirts are a big focal point. What do you suggest?

I will DEF most pics when I am done.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM

The only time I use intefacing on my T-Shirt quilts is if the fabric is very flimsy. Otherwise I just use them as is. Mine are also different than many by having multiple sizes cut. I use the method that Too Cool T-shirt quilts uses. Pieces are cut in increments of 4 inches (plus seam allowance) based on the design on that shirt. Pieces range from 4in X 4 in to 16X16. This will include non-square pieces also - 4X8, 4X12 etc.This makes for a very interesting T-shirt quilt. I then plan the layout based on shapes, sizes and colors of cut pieces. I will typically add a quilting cotton border and backing.

As for quilting, I machine quilt on my domestic machine usually using invisible thread on the top. I do not typically quilt through any designs because the designs sometimes 'grab' the needle. I will outline quilt the design and letters (or the word if the letters are small) and then do some type of background quilting in the rest of the block. My background quilting usually varies from block to block.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM

You guys have been a great help. Sorry to bother with so many questions. I have blocks of all sizes since the shirt block size is based on the print on the front and the back. So, I am laying it out on the floor...and my next question has arrived. LOL.

How do you arrange the blocks so that there is no space between? This quilt is a mosaic, so there are no rows and columns. Do you fill in the space with fabric? I will check out that too cool site now. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Ok, I answered my own question with a little online research. Now I am at another decision. If I individually quilt each square; do I do that once the whole top layer is sewn together? Or do I do it before it's sewn?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
The only time I use intefacing on my T-Shirt quilts is if the fabric is very flimsy. Otherwise I just use them as is. Mine are also different than many by having multiple sizes cut. I use the method that Too Cool T-shirt quilts uses. Pieces are cut in increments of 4 inches (plus seam allowance) based on the design on that shirt. Pieces range from 4in X 4 in to 16X16. This will include non-square pieces also - 4X8, 4X12 etc.This makes for a very interesting T-shirt quilt. I then plan the layout based on shapes, sizes and colors of cut pieces. I will typically add a quilting cotton border and backing.

As for quilting, I machine quilt on my domestic machine usually using invisible thread on the top. I do not typically quilt through any designs because the designs sometimes 'grab' the needle. I will outline quilt the design and letters (or the word if the letters are small) and then do some type of background quilting in the rest of the block. My background quilting usually varies from block to block.
This sounds like a really organized way to do a T-shirt quilt. Do you have any pictures of some you have done....would love if you could post some pictures.

Last edited by Denise S; 12-14-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

I had a friend that did a wonderful Tshirt quilt for her husband with all different sizes of blocks. It was like yours mosaic. She filled in spaces with fabric and then used sashiko or big stitch quilting. I would do that or tie the quilt, your preference.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM

i've only done the rows/columns w/sashing t-shirt squares...I would like to try the more creative ones...would love to see others that have done the mosaic type.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM

I am just trying to figure out what to do? tie or quilt. LOLOLOLOL. About 90% of the shirts I have are dark colors, then there is a handful of white or light heather grey, trying to figure out if I should use those too, or just leave it dark.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 PM

I am making two tshirt quilts for Christmas. A girl I spoke with while in line at JoAnn on Black Friday said she doesn't use interfacing or batting if she is using a flannel backing, ause the quilts will be on the hot side of warm. Since mine is backed in flannel, I'm not using interfacing. I'm going to tie mine because I don't really have the time to quilt them on my machine.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Some one mentioned iron on tricot. Hancock Fabrics has what is called French Fuse & it is 60" wide. This interfacing I use for everything. Love it.