Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Temporary quilt sleeves >

Temporary quilt sleeves

Temporary quilt sleeves

Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM

I would just sew the sleeve to the quilt by hand. If you use longer than normal stitches, it could be taken out later without a problem.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:03 AM

I've sewn sleeves on for shows and then had to take them off to sew a different size on for other shows. It was never a problem and didn't leave marks.

They also have those clamp curtain rings, but I'd be concerned that they'd leave marks on the edge of my quilt.

Could you fold over the top edge and pin it along the length with straight pins? Just a thought.

How about putting temporary 2" vertical strips of matching fabric every 8" or so that the quilt hangs from over the rod? You could easily sew those in and take them out later.

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 06-02-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 AM

I sewed sleeves on my bed quilts that went into our guild show, using clear monofilliament thread in the bobbin and the largest basting stitch on my sewing machine. The stitches were strong enough to support the large quilts and very very easy to remove.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM

You could use one of these items to hang the quilt. Add triangles to the top corners and insert the hanging rod.

https://www.hangitdangit.com/

There are different sizes and they adjust in width depending on size.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Our guild has a show every 2 years and for the last 10 years I have shown mine. If I have enough backing fabric I use that as a sleeve with long stitches, the sleeve can be removed or left on. The sleeve stays on and when I give it away I tell them they can take if off whenever they want. The sleeves made with muslin, I take it off and save for another quilt show.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:50 AM

I just found an alternative way for smaller quilts; take 2 squares; maybe 5" and fold on the diagonal and press; put one in each of the top corners with the fold towards the center of the quilt and stitch the two raw edges down even with the quilt corners; then put a rod under the two flaps of the corner triangles. I was thinking just before I wrote this that if it is a wider quilt you could make a tab and place it in the center or evenly spaced between the corners and put the rod through it then under the corners; you would probably have to tack the bottom of the tab down to the back of the quilt but would eliminate fabric all the way across the top of the quilt.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 AM
mac

What about sewing with invisible thread and basting up on the top by the binding where it won't show the sewing line and then hand stitching it on the bottom of the sleeve, so as not to catch or interfer with the front quilting. All of the weight will be on the top of the sleeve and should hold it temporarily. As soon as the show is over you can just pull the plastic thread out and unstitch your hand casted thread on the bottom.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Yes, this could work. If I didn't sew the sleeve into the binding (I usually put it in the lower corner, so two sides are sewn in the binding), then they could more easily remove the hand-stitching of an added sleeve if they didn't like it. I've also considered making the sleeve but not attaching it, and simply including it with instructions if they want to hang it. (This is a patriotic quilt -large throw size-that is primarily a birthday gift for my nephew, but his family is quite patriotic, so it is for them, as well).
Old 06-04-2018, 05:15 PM

An intriguing idea! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM

A friend of mine uses the method you spoke of for smaller quilts; this, one, I think is too large to use that. Adding one in the center for stability might work...Thanks for the suggestion!