Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Temporary quilt sleeves

Temporary quilt sleeves

Rather than sewing a sleeve to the back of the quilt, is there a way to make one that can be attached and/or removed based on when one wants to display a quilt?

DJ
    You could put a hanging sleeve at the top, and it could still be used as a throw or bed quilt without removing the hanging sleeve. Or you could add a hanging sleeve with basting stitches that could be take out when done hanging.

Safety pins through the sleeve and backing only? Have no idea if that would work, but thought it might be worth experimenting with.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Depends on why a sleeve is needed. Shows have different rules. Our guild realizes most of the quilts in it's show are to used not for display. Therefore, they want the sleeve attached anyway it will stay put through the show.

On the wall-hangings approximately 36" square or so, I have sleeves that were sewn into their bindings, through which a rod is placed. To display a larger quilt (e.g., a Christmas log cabin quilt or the current one I have hanging, a King's Crown quilt about 50"x70", there are also sleeves at the top, because displaying them was the primary intention. However, I am wanting to change out the larger one (living room wall behind couch). There is a permanent (for this year) rod here for this purpose. So, I was thinking maybe one could use Velcro or something to attach a sleeve to a quilt. I just wondered if anyone had done something like this, because the quilts I want to rotate in this spot are for use, primarily.

I would be afraid safety pins might rip the backing or at least put holes in the backing, which I wouldn't want. I guess I am wondering if something like Velcro or Command strips would work? There is a permanent rod for quilts on the wall I am wanting to rotate quilts on. Another thought, do people actually put sleeves on quilts that are really designed to be used and only displayed when they have jut been completed. Your thoughts?

So do you have any idea how some of the sleeves were attached temporarily? I've considered trying Velcro or maybe Command picture frame strips. There is a permanent rod on the wall behind my couch where I wish to rotate quilts. I have, for example, a fairy large Christmas log cabin quilt, and there is a sleeve because the quilt was made specifically to display during the holidays. Right now, there is a King's Crown quilt hanging, and I did put a sleeve, but after this, I intend it for use. Do people attach sleeves JUST IN CASE they want to display them, and if so, would people think it was odd and not comfortable looking if a sleeve were attached? Any recommendations?

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Cafe curtain clips?

Bit...you don’t need to take the sleeve off. The quilt on the bed in FL has a sleeve on it.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Power Poster
    I have seen a hanging sleeve put on a quilt that was later used on a bed. They matched the sleeve to the backing fabric and it wasn't very noticable.

This is from the Shipp Family website using safety pins. Maybe it will work for you. http://theshippfamily.blogspot.com/2...-easy-way.html
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I would just sew the sleeve to the quilt by hand. If you use longer than normal stitches, it could be taken out later without a problem.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I've sewn sleeves on for shows and then had to take them off to sew a different size on for other shows. It was never a problem and didn't leave marks.

They also have those clamp curtain rings, but I'd be concerned that they'd leave marks on the edge of my quilt.

Could you fold over the top edge and pin it along the length with straight pins? Just a thought.

How about putting temporary 2" vertical strips of matching fabric every 8" or so that the quilt hangs from over the rod? You could easily sew those in and take them out later.

Watson
    Last edited by Watson; 06-02-2018 at 04:13 AM.

I sewed sleeves on my bed quilts that went into our guild show, using clear monofilliament thread in the bobbin and the largest basting stitch on my sewing machine. The stitches were strong enough to support the large quilts and very very easy to remove.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

You could use one of these items to hang the quilt. Add triangles to the top corners and insert the hanging rod.

https://www.hangitdangit.com/

There are different sizes and they adjust in width depending on size.

Our guild has a show every 2 years and for the last 10 years I have shown mine. If I have enough backing fabric I use that as a sleeve with long stitches, the sleeve can be removed or left on. The sleeve stays on and when I give it away I tell them they can take if off whenever they want. The sleeves made with muslin, I take it off and save for another quilt show.

I just found an alternative way for smaller quilts; take 2 squares; maybe 5" and fold on the diagonal and press; put one in each of the top corners with the fold towards the center of the quilt and stitch the two raw edges down even with the quilt corners; then put a rod under the two flaps of the corner triangles. I was thinking just before I wrote this that if it is a wider quilt you could make a tab and place it in the center or evenly spaced between the corners and put the rod through it then under the corners; you would probably have to tack the bottom of the tab down to the back of the quilt but would eliminate fabric all the way across the top of the quilt.

mac
    What about sewing with invisible thread and basting up on the top by the binding where it won't show the sewing line and then hand stitching it on the bottom of the sleeve, so as not to catch or interfer with the front quilting. All of the weight will be on the top of the sleeve and should hold it temporarily. As soon as the show is over you can just pull the plastic thread out and unstitch your hand casted thread on the bottom.

Yes, this could work. If I didn't sew the sleeve into the binding (I usually put it in the lower corner, so two sides are sewn in the binding), then they could more easily remove the hand-stitching of an added sleeve if they didn't like it. I've also considered making the sleeve but not attaching it, and simply including it with instructions if they want to hang it. (This is a patriotic quilt -large throw size-that is primarily a birthday gift for my nephew, but his family is quite patriotic, so it is for them, as well).

An intriguing idea! Thanks!

A friend of mine uses the method you spoke of for smaller quilts; this, one, I think is too large to use that. Adding one in the center for stability might work...Thanks for the suggestion!

This is exactly what I was thinking just a few moments ago. I think, though, since this is a gift, I will use the backing fabric I have left over. I like your idea of using muslin/re-using it. This would work for quilts at home I am rotating for display.

I will give this careful thought. I've never used monofiliament, but it is an intriguing idea. Thanks!

Hum...your vertical strips idea, in particular, is intriguing...I will definitely think about it. Thanks!

Yes, I've concluded this may be my best option. Thanks!

I have several quilts on which I put a hidden sleeve. I have to point it out if I take it to a show. l quilt it all except the top border. I put a folded piece of thin trash fabric at that top between the batt and the back. I then quilt the back and that half of trash fabric, and next quilt the other half of the trash fabric with the batt and top. I put a little good fabric at the very ends that might show in use. Then the binding goes on, being careful not to catch the sleeve fabric at the ends. These are quite invisible in use.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast