Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension issues, any ideas what to try? >

Tension issues, any ideas what to try?

Tension issues, any ideas what to try?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM

I think you may have better luck if , on the three hole thread guide, you wrap the thread instead of going in and out of the holes. To do this go through the top hole, right to left, bring the thread around the front of the guide and go through middle hole right to left, repeat with the bottom hole. As someone already mentioned, make sure the thread is firmly seated in between the tension discs. I was taught to move it a little back and forth, like flossing your teeth, to make sure it's in snug. Going up to a #18 needle might help. Good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM

a few weeks back i was have a tension issue i had tried EVERYTHING i knew to fix it, NOTHING but frustration.... prayed for a miracle finally took it to the shop & I had NO IDEA about this part of the tension & perhaps u did this already but sharing JUST IN CASE.... on the bobbin casing is a screw this screw too loose can make the bottom stitches too loose like mine was the repairman fixed it right up, works perfect now, then a few days later i find this page on the net.... perhaps this isnt ur problem but i know many others r as unaware of this area for tension.... good luck
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...nsion/page/all
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 AM

I have a viking mega quilter which gave me fits with the tension. I have discovered that the quilt has to be absolutely flat, front to back and side to side and the quilt cannot drag on the machine bed. Since you seem to have tried everything else give this a go......good luck
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM

I was challenged with my pfaff quilter in a simular way and tried most of these things. found size of thread matching the needle made a difference also. hope you find the answer!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dragonflylady View Post
a few weeks back i was have a tension issue i had tried EVERYTHING i knew to fix it, NOTHING but frustration.... prayed for a miracle finally took it to the shop & I had NO IDEA about this part of the tension & perhaps u did this already but sharing JUST IN CASE.... on the bobbin casing is a screw this screw too loose can make the bottom stitches too loose like mine was the repairman fixed it right up, works perfect now, then a few days later i find this page on the net.... perhaps this isnt ur problem but i know many others r as unaware of this area for tension.... good luck
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...nsion/page/all
very well done article. If the service man says the tension is set correctly then usually it is the user that has a problem some where else. I'm sure this venture has taught a ton of things. I learn more from the snafu than when things go right. Whether the machine is a needle feed machine or a serger, the tension will work just like any other tension. When adjusted right the thread should just drag a very little - pressure foot down of course. The bobbin should just drag a very little, too. Too much on either will give you uneven stitches. Loops on the bottom - something wrong on top. Make sure the pressure foot is down when you sew. It is very easy to forget to put it down when you do free motion. I made a link a while back about tension problems maybe something will stand out. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5983729 I just added the link from Threads Magazine.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Most of the time the bobbin is the culprit. 90% of the time. Now that being said, your top thread is coming to the bottom freely. You might try putting the thread TWICE around the tension assembly. This will tighten up the top thread. I need to do this on some threads on my A-1. But first rethread everything and rethread and good luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
Most of the time the bobbin is the culprit. 90% of the time. Now that being said, your top thread is coming to the bottom freely. You might try putting the thread TWICE around the tension assembly. This will tighten up the top thread. I need to do this on some threads on my A-1. But first rethread everything and rethread and good luck.
I've rarely seen the bobbin as a problem.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Most likely when you removed the tension assembly you did not get the check spring in the correct slot. I have some times taken off assemblies as much as 2 or 3 times until I got the thread to pull through evenly on a setting of about 3 with the presser foot UP. there should be some resistance but not much. Good luck, it is hard to mess up an old Singer so hang in there.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
Most likely when you removed the tension assembly you did not get the check spring in the correct slot. I have some times taken off assemblies as much as 2 or 3 times until I got the thread to pull through evenly on a setting of about 3 with the presser foot UP. there should be some resistance but not much. Good luck, it is hard to mess up an old Singer so hang in there.
This manual is very helpful if you follow the directions to a T:
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/
try not to be in a hurry as you work on a machine
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM

If there is no stitch regulater, try slowing down just a bit, especially on arcs and tight curves