Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Texture Magic >

Texture Magic

Texture Magic

Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 PM

It is really fun and no two results are the same. I just finished watching a Patsy Thompson video on it this afternoon, she used it for flower centers on appliquéd flowers.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shiloh
Has anyone ever used it? I saw it on Martha Pullen's show this week. It is every expensive ($23.50 yd). I wonder if there is something one could use to create the same effect.
Yes, I have used Texture Magic and I loved how it works. I made a handbag with it. But at the Sew Expo where I saw it they have made many different things with it including a baby quilt, a little girls dress, pillowcases and many bags or totes with. I actually liked it so much that I ended up buying a bolt of the Texture Magic. So if anyone is interested in getting some I can give you a much better deal than retail on it.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
Has anyone ever used it? I saw it on Martha Pullen's show this week. It is every expensive ($23.50 yd). I wonder if there is something one could use to create the same effect.
Sorry, there isn't!!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:05 PM

some years ago on sewing with nancy, she took a piece of fabric, somewhat larger than you think you may need. Wet the fabric, wring it out and twist, twist, twist untill it rolls back on itself. Secure with rubberbands, string, or something. Put in the dryer to dry. When dry, take it out, do not smooth too much.Use iron on interfacing to the wrong side. You will have close to the same effect.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:05 PM

I was the orderer for a quilt shop here and was able to try out the Texture Magic before ordering it for the store. I passed it up almost immediately. The cost here was going to run about $25 per package...which was basically the size of a fat quarter. And although it did create an interesting texture (when done correctly), there was nothing "had to have" about it. When I asked the staff for the opinion, the only one remotely interested was someone that saw a "good idea" with it at a quilt show. I asked if she liked it enough to purchase and (after trying it)she declined saying that it was alot like "Shrinky Dinks" (the shrinking plastic that you color on from the late 80's) it seemed like a lot of fun, but once it "shrunk" the fun was kind of over. It wasn't our thing, but others seem to like it well enough.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought a package and used it in an applique project and intend to use it on a purse. Not something I would use everyday but does give a neat WOW effect.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I have the shrinking thread. I tried it on a scrap square and it worked, but I haven't used it on anything yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 AM

I purchased a small amount at a quilt show where they were doing a demo. It's great but you're right - it is expensive.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
I learn something new everyday. I have put this in my favorite list. I hope I live to be 99 years old, then I might get through my list. :lol: :lol:
Why not make it 100 years old than you'll be a century old and ohhhhhhh the tales you could tell of your fun with quilting for all those years.

:lol:
Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 AM

I've used it and really like it for accents. I bought mine from Amazon.com and it was packaged for around $11.00. It wasn' a yard but then again it doesn't take much according to what you are making. I just made flowers here and there on my quilt.