Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Texture Magic >

Texture Magic

Texture Magic

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 AM

I've used Texture Magic on a "Lovey" for a baby. Made a really neat crumpled texture on a piece of quilting cotton, poly satin and some Minkee like fabric! Only bought the packaged amount (maybe 1/3 yd) and I had plenty to do the three strips in this project. Really made some nice interest and feel for baby to put his fingers in. I like it, but will only use it in small pieces. It's fun!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Went to a quilt show and saw this and thought I had to have it. Used it in the border of a small wall hanging and decided it wasn't my most favorite thing. I still have some left and would use it in a small project but not to any great extent.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 AM

So far I have made three wallets and my friend is working on her second with Texture Magic and we love it.

Make a grid on the Texture Magic (TM) with lines 3/4" apart, I prefer on the diagonal. Sew the TM to the wrong side of your fabric with a wide zigzag or decorative stitch, on my Janome it is stitch 11 with a width of 7 (this did not work as well on my Bernina 730). On the wallets we made, we used almost a whole bobbin just in this process.

After you are done stitching, hold your iron ABOVE the RIGHT side of your fabric and steam it and you will see the fabric start to draw up. It will let you know when it is done as it will stop shrinking. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IRON TO THE TEXTURE MAGIC!!

I have purchased my TM from two different sources but the best price I have found is on J. Hittles website. A package of 47x18 (I think) is just under $9.00.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pugmom
So far I have made three wallets and my friend is working on her second with Texture Magic and we love it.

Make a grid on the Texture Magic (TM) with lines 3/4" apart, I prefer on the diagonal. Sew the TM to the wrong side of your fabric with a wide zigzag or decorative stitch, on my Janome it is stitch 11 with a width of 7 (this did not work as well on my Bernina 730). On the wallets we made, we used almost a whole bobbin just in this process.

After you are done stitching, hold your iron ABOVE the RIGHT side of your fabric and steam it and you will see the fabric start to draw up. It will let you know when it is done as it will stop shrinking. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IRON TO THE TEXTURE MAGIC!!

I have purchased my TM from two different sources but the best price I have found is on J. Hittles website. A package of 47x18 (I think) is just under $9.00.
I also love it for the wallets, cases, etc...great effect for sure..
I sell tons of it so somebody must love it...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I've use Texture Magic and loved the effects. I've used it for handbags and wallets as well as a "touchy" toddler quilt for a friend that has a child with some sensory issues. He LOVED the feel of the finished fabric! It is expensive, but you can buy it in smaller packages as well as look for sales, which is what I've done.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:00 AM

I'd like to try it on velvet. My only concern is how it will wear over time. (The same with the thread.)

I would think the thread would give a softer hand to the finished product. Has anyone done a comparison test?

Here is a conversion chart so you know how much to purchase.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...t_Single_3.JPG

An aside: While you're there take a look at the try me specials: SUNBURST Thread. Hmmm if it's like the T-shirt product it does fade over time.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

you can actually use the elastic thread. you have to hand wind it in the bobbin and then you use regular in the top. when you are done if you use your iron and steam it really good it'll cause it to shrink up and it looks just like it. I recently made a quilt square that way. It's cool
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM

I love it on art quilts! Super way to change the look of fabric into anything!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
Has anyone ever used it? I saw it on Martha Pullen's show this week. It is every expensive ($23.50 yd). I wonder if there is something one could use to create the same effect.
I used this to make a Minky scarf for a friend, it turned out great! I would use it again if I had something specific in mind. I got mine on sale at Sew Thankful in Albuquerque on line.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Sounds fun and like something I want to try.....