Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for encouraging me to try basting spray!!!!!! >

Thank you for encouraging me to try basting spray!!!!!!

Thank you for encouraging me to try basting spray!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 AM

I like spray basting. I sprayed one last July and started handquilting it. The first couple of weeks it was difficult to push the needle thru. I finished quilting it in December (I'm slow). It got easier and easier to quilt as time passed and even though several months passed the adhesive still held. I was impressed.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM

When you use poly batting, my suggestion is to spray your quilt fabric and not the batting....it seems to do something to the batting when you spray it directly on it. or maybe it was just the brand of poly batt that I used at the time.

Otherwise it works just as well as on cotton batting.

I've had a couple of quilts that I basted a couple of years ago and never got around to quilting until this year and it still held well except for around the edges and I gave it a light spritz again. I do NOT spray heavily.

warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 AM

I used the stuff for the first time just a few days ago! On the first project, I used poly batting, and quilted it right away. Didn't bother to pin, that's why I bought the spray!!!!! It did start to come apart at the edges, but not too bad.

I've used it since on my next project, which is a quilt as you go double Irish chain quilt. With a bamboo/cotton batting, and it's still coming apart at the edges, but not quite so much, and this piece is getting a lot of manipulation while under the needle, unlike the other piece.

I love the stuff. Yeah, it s-cks that it's so expensive, and I def. won't be using it on everything, but when I can, I will!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM

I use the basting spray on all types of batting. I do not however spray anything in the house because I have parrots and even the warning on the can says not to spray around birds. I spray outside and once it dries I bring it in and have no problems with the birds, the fabric adhering or anything else.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM

I too spray lightly. I don't think I could use a lot of cans of it in a lifetime. My can is still 3/4 full and I've done 2 quilts with it. I do quilt slow by hand, but even if I machine quilted it I don't think I'd buy more than one can at a time. Is there a shelf life on this stuff?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I use it, too! But DH has forbidden me from spraying in the house......I did it on the dining room table. Yes, I covered the table. But the overspray covered the chairs!! LOL LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I told him to just "let it go!"....that it would disappear in time. (I wasn't sure!) LOL :mrgreen: I didn't figure in the CAT hair getting caught in it......so a day later, I saw the cat hair and started washing it off. LOL :mrgreen: He caught me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good thing he has a good sense of humor :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So funny. Sounds like something I would do. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At least it didn't baste the CAT to the chairs :? :?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

hi all,

I've always be afraid that my needle would get all gunky. Didn't see anyone mention this, so am I wrong?

peel
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM

The spray basting has never gunked up my needles or machine, I've used it for 6 years...the very first quilt class I took that was what we were told to bring to class and taught how to use it not pin basting.

Yes, I am not keen on the overspray. I put down a sheet on my kitchen floor before I put my quilt down to spray baste. That helps keep the overspray from going on my tile, cuz I hate to try to wash it off my tile. Then I throw the sheet in the laundry...no muss no fuss.

I use Sullivan's spray baste and the smell reminds me of the Easter egg dye of years ago, I like the smell but know that it isn't good to inhale. I heard there is another basting spray that has no odor and has less overspray but I don't know the name of it.

Warm quilt hugs, sue
Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 PM

i love the spray, my first quilt i made i pinned it and said never again was a pain in the you know what i found and tried the spray and like i said will never go back to pinning i went to jo anns yesterday and they had the spray 50 % off yes i was in a aweee i bought 6 cans of it im sett for awhile !!!!!!!
i have let the quilts set or in some cases took my time on quilting them for as much as 3 -4 weeks and they still held together everytime i went back to do sewing on them i think the world of the person that invented this stuff for quilting !!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM

To lakehouse:

It depends on the size of the can. I recently purchased a 159 gram can in Canada and it was $19.99. I normally buy the Sullivans because it is cheaper but couldn't find it at the time.