Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there another name for this? >

Is there another name for this?

Is there another name for this?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 AM

The beautiful quilt above is the winding ways, it is curved versus Kaleidoscope, which is straight pieces.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I think it is the Kaleidoscope block: http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html Sooooooo many on pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/kaleidoscope-quilt/

Haven't made one yet, but it is on my list. lol
The paper piecing template on your first link is only two sections sewn together to make a block, which I find nicer than the four-square block I was thinking it would be and what I think I saw years ago.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
The beautiful quilt above is the winding ways, it is curved versus Kaleidoscope, which is straight pieces.
Beautiful, it IS!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I think yngldy is right, it's the kaleidoscope. the maltese cross looks like the kaleidoscope as the center of a square in a square. here's a pretty scrappy http://www.frommarti.com/show_K_happy.shtml
Oooh, that is pretty. Up-to-date modern with a grandma-era feel to it.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Thank you, all for the input! Now that I know the name I could see many examples for further ideas. Once I had the name, the googling began and the bonus is I stumbled upon a new site to follow http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/...e-Pattern.html Ahhh, the back of her kaleidoscope quilt is beautifully crisp, clean, and orderly. Her tutorial is brief but includes a couple of "always need to hear" processes.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Thank you, all for the input! Now that I know the name I could see many examples for further ideas. Once I had the name, the googling began and the bonus is I stumbled upon a new site to follow http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/...e-Pattern.html Ahhh, the back of her kaleidoscope quilt is beautifully crisp, clean, and orderly. Her tutorial is brief but includes a couple of "always need to hear" processes.

Her kaleidoscope is not a true one...it should have a HST at the corners to create that " curved" moving motion....hers looks more like periwinkle or arkansas snowflake
Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. My quilt is Winding Ways using Marti Mitchel templates. It was a wedding gift for a granddaughter in September. I have enough fabric to make another. It was easy to cut with a 28mm rotary cutter and piece using a washable glue stick.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

It is a Kaleidoscope block and you can get directions on quiltescache.com I made a king size quilt with this pattern for my DH, (he picked the block pattern), and it was a great quilt, however, you have to be careful of all those bias edges. Maybe if I had known about using spray starch way back then it might have been easier.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Her kaleidoscope is not a true one...it should have a HST at the corners to create that " curved" moving motion....hers looks more like periwinkle or arkansas snowflake
You are correct. I like her colors/fabrics and the site, though and only realized it was not a K when I went back later and took more time.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 AM

I agree, LD. While I have made several kaleidoscope tops, and the seams are straight, I have never made a Winding Ways quilt and the seams are curved.