Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps? >

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Are There Any Quilt Patterns That Give You The Creeps?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
Originally Posted by mamasuze
Are we related? I thought I was the only one who was weird enough not to like bargellos and log cabins! I don't know why I don't like them, I just don't.
Make that three of us!
Oh my goodness! Triplets separated at birth! :shock:
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mamasuze
I don't see any negativity in this thread. Nowhere has anyone disparaged anyone else's tastes or preferences. Many posts have referenced the fact that, even though a pattern may not be a favorite, we can still see and appreciate the skills and talents of the quilter.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about this board is the huge number of members with their extremely varied tastes and skill levels. I've been amazed by projects that I can't imagine trying for myself, and I've broadened the way I think about fabrics and patterns because of what the amazing quilters have shown here.

Surely we can share our "dislikes" in a polite, nonjudgemental way. After all, think how boring this board would be if we all liked the same patterns and fabrics!
I think the "negativity" comes from the term "gives me the creeps". We all have our preferences. That is one of the wonderful things about having all of the choices available to us.
For me it is Color and Contrast more than the individual pattern. I just don't go ga ga for quilts that don't have contrast and are boring, even if they end up being my own quilts.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:57 PM

There is not a particular pattern...but I dont like BUSY quilts. I like breaks in a pattern, maybe some plain or tone on tone between pattern blocks. Anything that is too "hectic".
Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think the "negativity" comes from the term "gives me the creeps". We all have our preferences.
Didn't mean to be negative, but they really do. It is something visceral. I truly can't look at them and find them disturbing. Like I said I don't know why. But after having this reaction again and again over the last few months, I decided to ask if anyone else felt that way.
There are patterns that I don't care for - although those are far and few between - but nothing that elicits the strong sensation that a bargello does. It's very peculiar.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM

I agree with that. I have the most trouble getting started, picking colors, pattern etc. So a class is good when everything is spelled out. I do enjoy making lap quilts, no interest in bed size.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sash
Sorry, but I'm really disappointed in this.
Me too.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think the "negativity" comes from the term "gives me the creeps". We all have our preferences.
Didn't mean to be negative, but they really do. It is something visceral. I truly can't look at them and find them disturbing. Like I said I don't know why. But after having this reaction again and again over the last few months, I decided to ask if anyone else felt that way.
There are patterns that I don't care for - although those are far and few between - but nothing that elicits the strong sensation that a bargello does. It's very peculiar.
I understand this, but I also understand that with all of the ways to describe things that some people do feel it is very negative. I just like to try and understand everyone's feelings...
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM

I love OBW's that I have done, but I scratch my head at some that I have seen and wonder what was she thinking?
I hate ugly charity quilts. It just does something to me.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM

this is all just toooooooooo funny..........
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
It's Drunkard's Paths for me - not keen at all.
This is my least favorite - something about it makes me feel drunk!