Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything I need to know when it comes to working with batiks?

Blog Entries

Batiks

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Don't drool on it. ;~) I love the texture/depth batiks give to quilts. They can bleed a bit so I hope you prewashed or rinsed. Enjoy!

piney
    Is it true there is no wrong side or right side to Batiks.

I don't have a ton of batiks, very few in fact, but have just started with a small group to get into art quilts. Now I am hooked. But I have noticed. Ripping out will leave holes, they press beautifully, tension may have to be adjusted. I used a 90/14 needle titanium by Superior Threads which made a difference for tension and look. But have fun with your new found batiks passion. I don't prewash and never had trouble, but I always use Retayne.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the question. I've never used batiks and all this info has been very helpful

Make sure you have a new needle on. Batiks are hard on needles!!!
    Kathy

Remember the are almost identical on both sides of the fabric, so just be careful when piecing that you get the right pieces together. It's very easy to reverse them.

Batiks are just hand-dyed cottons. Batik is only a coloration technique, nothing more. Sometimes they are over heavily dyed, which can cause color to run. I highly recommend using color catchers in at least the first few washes after the quilt is finished. The only other thing I recommend is pre-washing any other fabrics you will use with the batiks as your batiks have been pre-shrunk but the other cotton fabrics are not.
    Shirley in Arizona

I've only bought one fat quarter bundle of batiks, and used some for applique. I do like em doe!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I just had a problem with a batik in a collection of several others when doing a fusible applique wallhanging. One of the greens would not fuse down. I called a friend who is an expert on all things quilting. She said that it was because the wax did not wash out completely on that piece in the manufacture process. She suggested pouring boiling water over a scrap to see if would take out the wax. It did but it was too late for what I was doing. In the future I plan to test fusible web on a little scrap before cutting. Donna

I agree with Lori S. use a smaller needle. AND only from experience, wash and wash again before cutting. I "always prewash when I get the fabric home, doesn't matter whether batik's or not".
    but I will always wash till the water is clear with batiks from about 2 years ago till for forever. I had a really bad experience with high quality batiks that bleed into the the rest of a KING size quilt. I will NEVER-EVER NOT WASH AT LEAST 3 TIMES WITH BATIKS NOW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Other than the Bleeding issue, I use a smaller needle for piecing. Batiks are a tighter weave , and a large needle will make a hole rather than slide between the fibers. I use a 70/10 needle or occasionally a 75/10.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Don't drool on it. ;~) I love the texture/depth batiks give to quilts. They can bleed a bit so I hope you prewashed or rinsed. Enjoy!

piney
    LOL...thanks for that.
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

My second ever quilt was all in batiks, this past winter. Other than the tighter weave of the fabric, I had no real issues, and didn't prewash it, either. No bleeding problems encountered. And yes, I now LOVE batiks!! They add such vibrance to any quilt, and now I hate to quilt without them. Just finished an all flannel quilt, and anxious to get back to batiks! =D

agree totally. I use batiks a lot.

Blog Entries
    I love working with batiks. Some feel smooth as silk. Some have a little more body. I haven't had the need for any special handling....but I pre-wash everything in all fabrics anyway.

I LOVE batiks but I've had a real problem with bleeding.
    Be a girl with a mind, a women with attitude and a lady with class.

Blog Entries
    I love batiks. I do not prewash. I have never had a problem with bleeding. I throw a color saver strip in when I wash it and no problems. I use Bali Pops a lot and have not had them bleed on me. The most compliments I get are on the batik quilts I make. They are addictive and are my preference for quilting. My long armer has no problem with them even when the back is batik also. Different strokes for different folks. It's your quilt, do it how you want to do it!!
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Blog Entries
    Even though I've used batiks for a while, now, and have noticed some of the attributes pointed out here, I had never realized that they were due to the batiking process. I've learned quite a bit here, and will be sure to put in a new (smaller) needle the next time I start a quilt with batiks.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    I use batiks alot. I have never prewashed them, but I do use a color catcher when I wash them the first time. Like others said, use a sharp microtex needle 70/10 - larger needles leave big holes. Also, try to use a different fabric for the back - it can be difficult to quilt with batik on top and bottom. Other than that, nothing different than normal 100% cotton fabric. I have made dozens of bags from batiks and numerous quilts. Love batiks!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I'm making one now and not having any problems sewing it. I sure am loving the way it's coming out!

I would hesitate to use dark or red Batiks without washing them first. Those are the ones I've had trouble with bleeding. If your completed project will get washed, I think you should prewash your fabric or at least soak it in the sink, to see if any bleeding happens. If it does you can treat it w/ Retayne. Using some Color Catchers later wouldn't hurt as well.

OK, now I'm really worried. I'm a newbie, and just today did the first piecing on a lap quilt done in Bali Pops Watermelon. This is to be a special gift to my Granddaughter for her 8th birthday. I've sewn 93 strips of the Pops to 186 pieces of 1895 'gardenia', an extremely pale yellow. Should I stop now and wash, or what? I can't give her a quilt that might bleed. Help!! Please!!
    Please meet my avatar quilting buddy, Myrtle McQuilter

I learned a lot from this thread. Did not know about Color Catchers, or Retayne or Synthrapol. I do pre-wash and have found a few fabrics that bleed. One I had to wash 3 times to feel comfortable with it. Actually, it was a small piece of fabric for a pillow case, and I just soaked it in the sink. Because I hand quilt, I would probably commit hari-kari (not sure if I spelled that right) if a worked on a quilt for a year and then the fabrics bled and ruined it.
    Thanks everybody for all the great information.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Batiks are wonderful to work with! I don't prewash, but I do wash the quilt once it is done - usually in cold water with vinegar in the final rinse to set the colours. Otherwise, colour catchers will also give you peace of mind.

My only real advice? Don't stress about them. Enjoy the way they feel and play together.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

i agree with wash the fabric first maybe wash it 2 times , and use a smaller needle that you do for cotton

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments...

I didnt prewash, but I did the pretest just in case. I found that batiks, while petty, and fun to sew with... Theyre annoyingly stinky!! Anyone else notice that?? I get them from the LQS so they are quality...
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast