Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there a cutting mat that you

Is there a cutting mat that you

Can also iron on? Is there such a thing as a heat resistant cutting mat that you can iron on too?

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Not that I know of. I have a June Taylor cutting mat of poor quality (not being a self healer) that is attached to an ironing pad on the back. It has not stayed flat.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have a June Tailor mat too........cutting mat on one side, pressing pad on the other side. Same as mentioned above..... cutting board has warped (from the heat, I'm sure), causing it to pull away from the pressing mat. It's still usable though. If you do get this same one, I'd recommend putting a thin towel or something on the pressing mat before you press anything. Mine looks horrible as many different fabrics have bled onto it.

Blog Entries
    I have also seen them where they open like a book. The cutting mat is on one side and an ironing surface is on the other so no heat can get near the mat. Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Omnigrid-12-In...grid+fold+away
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have a Fiskar's mat that has an ironing pad on one side. Never had problems with the cutting side not laying flat.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I have also seen them where they open like a book. The cutting mat is on one side and an ironing surface is on the other so no heat can get near the mat. Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Omnigrid-12-In...grid+fold+away
    that's pretty nifty for taking to classes
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Check Martelli . They may have a new product like that.

I agree with checking with Martelli. I think they have a mat than can be ironed on, but I'm not sure if it's intended for constant ironing or just occasional ironing.

only martelli mats can be directly ironed on except for their rotating mat. I still lust after one of their mats, may spluge next year to get one
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I was always afraid I would forget to turn the 2 sided cutting/pressing mat over and ruin one side or the other. Therefore I would not buy one I have to flip over. It would cost me too much replacing it all the time.

Martelli. I should find a previous post and copy & paste it... They have redline direct specials a few times a year; the latest newsletter said one will be held before Christmas. Whatever items are being offered are generally 50% off. Sometimes it's a specific item, sometimes it's everything they sell.

Yes, their mats are pricy. Even on sale. But yes, you can iron on them. I've done it. Not consistently so before doing that, I'd contact them. The reason I don't is that I prefer a slightly padded surface (like what would be on a typical ironing board). While their mats are softer than some (Olfa, for example), they are certainly not padded.

You can also roll them and they do not warp when left in a warm car.

http://www.martellinotions.com/ On the bottom right is a link to sign up for various e-mail lists. You MUST check off redline direct sales. Possibly if you follow them through FB, too.

I have had a martelli cutting mat for about 6 years and they are GREAT.
    ranbro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Can also iron on? Is there such a thing as a heat resistant cutting mat that you can iron on too?

sandy
    Yes, there is, Martelli has one. They are rather expensive, I love mine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post

sandy
    this is funny you ask at this time -- I was at my "non" quilting friend's house a few days ago helping her make aroma therapy pillows. I was doing the sewing and she was doing the cutting and ironing.

As I was taking a break and sitting across from her working at the table, she had just cut a couple of pillows (using her kinda warped cutting mat) then grabbed a pillow to turn and iron. In my shock she was ironing the pillow ON her cutting mat. LOL

You all know what I said so won't repeat it LOL -- she simply said "oh, so that's why it's warped" LOL

Had to share !!!

As for an answer - there are some that have ironing pad on one side and cutting mat on the other.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

J T Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Not that I know of. I have a June Taylor cutting mat of poor quality (not being a self healer) that is attached to an ironing pad on the back. It has not stayed flat.
    I have the same mat/ironing pad. It has bowed from the heat, also. I have found that it is too padded to actually press the blocks properly. I am srongly thinking that I may make my own pressing mat. There are numerous sites that give instructions on how to make one.

Last edited by dee1245; 10-30-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I was always afraid I would forget to turn the 2 sided cutting/pressing mat over and ruin one side or the other. Therefore I would not buy one I have to flip over. It would cost me too much replacing it all the time.
    That's exactly what I did with my first "Quilter's Cut n' Press". Then I spilled coffee on the pressing side, "washed" it, put it up against the wall next to the bathtub: cat claimed it as her scratching post!

Since I liked the pressing side, I bought a second one to keep next to my cutting mat. It's very convenient to press anything under twelve or thirteen or so inches.

I never turn it over!
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    So far my JT is still in pretty good shape but don't use it much.

Attachment 497254

We made one using a piece of flooring. I think it is actually under flooring. It's very thin, and we bought it for about $7 if I remember correctly. They come in 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 sections; I used a 2 x 4. We made an envelope out of terry cloth, then made a cover for it using the enclosed seam pillowcase method. I love that we can put it on any surface to use, then tuck it out of the way when we're finished. I also like that the 48" width allows us to press an entire width of fabric at once.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1,005.6 KB

I don't know why my picture disappeared. I'll try again.

I'm on my second JT cutting/pressing mat. I used the first one for like 10 years before I had to replace it. It does bow a little over time but I like it enough to replace it that often.