Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easier way to put cornerstones in the border? >

Is there an easier way to put cornerstones in the border?

Is there an easier way to put cornerstones in the border?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:29 AM

Default Is there an easier way to put cornerstones in the border?

I struggle a little when I decide to put cornerstones in my border. I have a difficult time getting the cornerstone seams exact. Maybe someone out there has an easier method.

1. First I sew the border on two opposite sides and trim the ends to make sure they are super smooth and straight.
2. I measure border seam to border seam for the 3rd side and add 1/2" for the seams.
3. I sew one cornerstone to the end of the border piece, sew the other end on as well and sew the border to the 3rd side.
4. I do the same thing as steps 2-3 for the 4th side.

Somehow, I have problems with that last cornerstone not lining up perfectly with the side border seam.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

When mitering large wide borders corners for queen size quilt, I always had one corner that was off needed to be fixed.

I would remeasure to see why the one border was off. I would measure the length of each size because one side could be just a 1/4" longer or shorter than the other one. I would pin base the border to see if my measurement were accurate and then sew the border on. I always use pins so that the fabrics won't shift but I am careful to pull the pin out before getting to close to the needle. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 AM

I've always had trouble with this, too, but I have no explanation. For a long time I thought my math was wrong, but now I think it's my sewing
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 AM

nanna - I feel your pain. I used to have this problem a lot too. I THINK the problem is 1/4 inch seams, and possibly stretching the fabric a little when sewing. Now I measure the 3rd border, hold it up against where it's going to go, just to double check. Then I sew the first cornerstone on, press and check again. Then I sew the second cornerstone on, press and then check again. THEN, I pin the seams where they are supposed to go and then pin the heck out of the whole rest of it. I think this is one of the only time I use pins. Then, if your sewing machine can regulate the pressure of the presser foot, fiddle with that a little bit. If my pressure is too high, it seems to push the top fabric and un-align all my hard work. Good luck!!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 AM

I do it your way Jean - but i switch to my walking foot to avoid shifting - and i pin like crazy....and have not really had any problem with the match up. I'll be checking back to see if there are other suggestions.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

You don't mention whether you pin the last borders to the quilt. Fabric can shift quite a bit with a long seam. Using a walking foot helps, but lots of pins (or glue) will keep those pieces together.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 AM

How about not sewing that last cornerstone on until you've sewn the border on to within a few inches of the seam you need to match. Fiddly but might work!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Thank you all so much. The pinning worked. I was just very careful and put in a lot of pins and it worked. This cornerstone is looking good.
Attached Thumbnails 00strings004.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

That is exactly what I do. Then i make sure the cornerstone and the border match up perfectly, use elmers washable glue to SECURE the match (pins seem to distort the match), and sew it on.

But there are those times when nothing works. That means I've done enough for one day.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
How about not sewing that last cornerstone on until you've sewn the border on to within a few inches of the seam you need to match. Fiddly but might work!
I do mine this way, saves me a lot of unsewing trying to make it fit.