Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easier way?? >

Is there an easier way??

Is there an easier way??

Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 AM

I made a quilt top and decided to put some vine, leaf and flower applique on the border. I cut out my flowers and leaves and needed to make the vines. Knowing I was going to have to do this, I had bought the 1/4" bias tape maker and some of the Clover iron-on tape. Thought this would be a snap! I reviewed some of the ways to make continuous bias strips, but I got lost on which way to cut it :shock: :?: Did finally make some, but when the tape goes through the little thingy I noticed it was not sticking in some places. Then I noticed the sticky part was peeling and collecting between the tape and the fabric! I took the part that I had made and decided it also was not as wide as I wanted. I decided I didn't want to go through the "continuous" thing again, so I just cut wider strips and sewed them together. Then I folded them over and sewed them wrong sides together 1/8" from the edge. Then I used a piece of the heat-resistant template material to "make" a long piece that would fit into the tube so I could iron it with the seam open in the middle. Finally I ironed the tape on to the back so I can iron my vine in place before appliqueing it to the border. This took most of the day yesterday....is there a better way?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 AM

I just read of a technique that uses bias strips and cording. Center the cording on the bias and fold the bias over the cording and use a zipper foot to stitch close to the cord. Trim the raw edges about 1/8 inch from the seam, or less. Then pull the cording out and press the piece flat. Place the bias strip so the seam line matches the placement of a side of the vine design and machine stitch on the same seamline. ( Stretch the bias a little on inside curves and relax it a bit on outside curves so it will lay flat when done.) Then go back and fold and press it over to cover the seam and raw edge. and hand or machine stitch the loose edge. (this was in a library book which I took back and I don't remember the title)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM

that is a great idea
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I buy the big roll of Clover fusible bias 1/4" strips, all the work is done for you. If I want wider stems/vines I use two lengths side by side. It comes in green, black, gold, silver and lots of marble/metallic colors. tip: if you are machine appliquéing use a twin needle the size to sew the bias tape, perfect space between seam stitch lines.

Here is a link to see most of the colors that you can buy in one pack. That package would last me a life time! I just buy one roll when I need it. Usually about $14 not on sale.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/..._BiasAsst%231_(12-Colors)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM

I sew my vines right sides together with fusible thread. Then I press it onto the vine lines with the seams on the bottom.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
I just read of a technique that uses bias strips and cording. Center the cording on the bias and fold the bias over the cording and use a zipper foot to stitch close to the cord. Trim the raw edges about 1/8 inch from the seam, or less. Then pull the cording out and press the piece flat. Place the bias strip so the seam line matches the placement of a side of the vine design and machine stitch on the same seamline. ( Stretch the bias a little on inside curves and relax it a bit on outside curves so it will lay flat when done.) Then go back and fold and press it over to cover the seam and raw edge. and hand or machine stitch the loose edge. (this was in a library book which I took back and I don't remember the title)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131869.jpe   attachment-131870.jpe   attachment-131871.jpe  
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM

here are the last two pics. Hope it helps make it easier!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131947.jpe   attachment-131948.jpe  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I sew my vines right sides together with fusible thread. Then I press it onto the vine lines with the seams on the bottom.
I have never heard of fusible thread. I'll have to look into that! :D
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM

I have made bias tape quite often using the Clover bias maker. The secret I think is to starch the fabric before you cut the bias strip and work with the iron very close to the bias tool as the bias comes through. I haven't had problems with the pupose made fusible strips but admit I have tried cutting my own from vliesofix, but that was fiddly , time consung and not always successful. If you have already invested in the bias maker a little practice will iron out the wrinkles for you! (parden the pun!)
Old 02-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Another question about the Clover bias maker: Do you have a problem getting the seams to go through it if you are using a continuous strip? Should I leave them at 1/4" or trim them closer to the seam? I'm ironing them out flat.
Just full of questions, aren't I??? I will definitely try starching them! Thanks for all the help...I was seriously frustrated!