Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easier way? >

Is there an easier way?

Is there an easier way?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Is there an easier way?

I've been trying to learn how to control my new longarm from the front of the machine. Man, it is tougher than it looks. I am having a difficult time trying to follow a simple pattern? I loaded up a cheaters print sampler and I'm just trying to go around the design without getting over the lines! Yikes!!! Will I ever be able to control where I want to go? Is there an easy way? Is this something that you would use the stitch regulator on or off? I've tried both. I think I am more comfortable with it on. Any advice for a novice?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM

what machine do you have? someone who has the same..may be able to help you. Also, have you taken any classes?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM

What machine? You could have your sandwich way too loose or your take up bar is not down on the quilt enough. Maybe you need to create some drag by using cans or rice bags. I always use my SR. It takes time, lots of time. Put some muslin on the machine and just go crazy before trying to follow a pattern or sample cheater. Check out youtube for demos and more.

I have a Nolting 24" PRO.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

It is much harder to follow lines on the fabric than to do free motion, ruler work, or a pantograph. Why start with the hardest thing? I always use the SR. For detailed work I use my micro handles.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I am much better on FMQ on my regular machine than following a line. I imagine the same holds true for longarms. Try going just outside the outline rather than follow it exactly.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

What machine do you have?

I started by using the regulator at 10 stitches per inch. Slow enough for control and a good stitch length. slow it down even more but watch how fast you move the machine. If you move to fast at a slow stitch speed you could break a needle.

When I first started I loaded solid fabric for top and back, used a contrasting thread so I could see it. A simple panto with gentle curves and a few points gave me lots of pracice, just repeating the motion over and over.

At first you don't even have to thread the machine. Just turn the laser light on and follow the panto pattern without sewing, repeatedly, put on some good music and get into a groove. You can do this with any pattern you want to follow, even a cheater fabric. Just follow the pattern many times without sewing before you actually start. practice, practice, practice.

Do you have a platform to attach to the machine for using rulers? This gadget makes straight line work and angles much easier and rulers with curves are helpful also.

@ Sandyquilts: I also have a pro 24. So simple to use. Nothing fancy but does beautiful work.

Last edited by ube quilting; 10-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

practice, practice, practice!
slow down the machine
and practice some more- as with learning to play the piano- it takes practice...but with time & practice you will certainly be able to. some people spend years --- some get the hang of it sooner- it takes, relaxing- slowing down (sometimes you have to slow down in order to speed up) and practice. for me if i put on some good music that i can get into a flow with that helps.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM

Exactly what they said. Practice, loosen up. Breath instead of following the lines make some simple designs between.Like if your cheater is wedding ring. put some swags along the blocks. Make some flowers. echo some light hands don't grip
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM

I agree with every one above, I only do free hand before I start I get out my dry erace board and draw the patern I want to use over, and over, and over again, it trains the mind and hand to work together, try laying a clear peace of plastic, the thick kind you can get at Joann's in there yardage plastic area, tape your panel down to a table or counter, cover with plastic, using a dry erase marker trace it as if you were standing at your machine. Do this several times if you make a mistake just wipe it off and try again. Hope this helps. Don't give up keep trying, good luck
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I would suppose it is like sewing on a regular machine. You have to practice alot, relax, breathe and don't get stressed. I just do FMQ, a large stipple, nothing fancy. I love to do it and I love the look.