Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept. >

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 PM

I love whittles super price .....the shipping is a royal pain. what ever happened to3rd class a week to 10 days shipping. They don't even offer it :D
Old 07-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the great lead! They have some nice pieces and the prices are pretty good! I didn't get as far as checking out the shipping, but I've bookmarked it for further reference.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Teacup
Klue, I've read other postings from you where you mentioned getting good fabric prices online. Perhaps you have already done so in another post, but I'm a newbie and have not see it...could you mention a few of your favorite sites? I've ordered from Hancocks of Paducah and Keepsake Quilting. I love looking at their selections but their prices are not what I'd call bargains unless you catch it on clearance.
over the last 2 months i've gotten about 7 shipments from Thousand of Bolts so i'd have to say this is my favorite site to shop at. the down side is the site isn't very user friendly - i would like to see a "new" section for the most recent fabrics they gotten,

i have a few fabric lines that i like to buy and i'm not store loyal.

i use quiltshops.com and i enter in the fabric lines that i like along with the word sale and search for any store that has that specific fabric on sale.

i do this almost daily because i buy certain lines in mass quantity. i love benartex caryl bryer fallert and paula nadelstern and whenever its on sale i buy huge amounts.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I love Walmart. :D Our fabric department ladies are awesome.

Mostly, I buy garment fabrics there. I get really nice stuff for $2 per yard and the outfits last for years. I am really bad about discarding clothes... just yesterday, I realized I was wearing a dress I made nearly 20 years ago -- and I bought the fabric at Walmart.

I wish they had more knits, though. My 2nd DIL likes her maternity clothes in a very thin knit. I bought the two prints they had, and they haven't had any more in yet.
Try Hobby Lobby for knits, if there is one near you.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise, Klue.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Around these parts whenever Walmart remodels a store then the fabric dept. closes. :x
This is exactly what happened to the one I go to. Big remodel, fabric dept is gone.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM

I have been hearing the Walmart closing fabric thing for a few years now. The Walmart near my house still has fabric, but the new ones don't. They are still getting stuff in, I buy some for charity quilts and it is $2 a yard, and they keep refreshing the stock. I heard they were going to dump yarn, but then more comes in.
Some say they won't sell near a Joann, but my Walmart is in the same shopping center as Joann, about a mile from Hobby Lobby.
The ladies in my store say no way they are closing fabric, but someone always knows someone who says it is going. Like I said, I have heard this for years, but will believe it when I see it.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 PM

The wal-mart i go to here is down to one aisle of fabric and its all the same stuff they have had for the last 2 years. It SUCKS!!! I dont get any fabric there anymore, can never find anything I like. But since they have downsized I have found a new love for my fabric warehouse in town. And for my LQS
Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM

When I read what you said about Connecting Threads only selling fabric that is USA-made, I had to find out more! So I went to their website, and sure enough, they said the cotton is grown in the US, and it is woven in the US and printed in the US too.

That's pretty astounding, because from what I had heard (even from fabric sales reps), the only mill that is printing in the US is Santee. (Cranston/VIP now prints everything overseas, having closed their printing and finishing operations in June.) I've been told that all the cotton combing equipment literally left the US and went overseas a decade or more ago. Well, gee!

Anybody out there know anything more about this? I'd sure rather buy fabric that is made in the US, rather than what's printed in China or Korea or Japan. (Not that I have any problem with the quality of the overseas-printed goods, it's just a "buy local, feed your own neighbors" moral concern.)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the info about Connecting Threads and US fabrics!!! :D