Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept. >

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Both of my nearby Walmarts still have fabric, but I don't buy much of it there. Up till recently, I didn't find very good quality there at all, but that seems to have changed in the past few months. I prefer one of the locations over the other, not because of fabric in stock, but because of poor service at one. I get really irate each time I go into that location (which, unfortunately, is the closer one to my home), so I try to avoid it unless totally impossible. The other location has much friendlier employees who are much more accessible.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM

That's OK if you don't have a Joann's but I got my Rotary cutters there with a 40% off coupon so they only cost me $12-$15! Actually, I have 3 sizes now. Thought I would use the 18mm but not really much use for it?? I rarely cut anything with scissors anymore! :D We have one Wal Mart near us that still has fabric & no thoughts of closing it out but another store has closed out fabrics about a year ago! Also a small Joann store near me closed last year. :cry: I will hate to have to resort to quilt shops because they're so expensive. Except for their sale items. Found one in Flagler Beach, Fl 2 yrs ago & got LOTS of stuff on sale!! So much fun! But the ones around me aren't as good. Check online at Joann for rotary cutter blades. I got a fabulous buy on the 28mm size! I always buy them with the coupons, too!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM

ours is done there is nothing left
Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 AM

I have purchased fabric from Walmart. I used to go there to purchase fabric when I was going to make a quilt for someone that I suspect would not care for it and appreciate all the work that is put into it.

I got a good tip from our quilting guild the other day. If you hold the fabric up to the light and put your hand behind it, you should NOT see your hand or outline of it. That is a sign that you have quality fabric. Try it, it works!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Not all walmart's are closing their fabric dept. A few in the next counties over from ours closed, but ours got all their stash, to add, so we have more to go thru. The Amish in our area put up a big stink, is why ours isn't closing, Thank you to them!! We don't have many quilt shops or fabric stores here, so to lose our walmart would be very hurtful to the quilt makers in this area.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Just a quick note I know a lady that goes around to diff wal marts and she says you can tell by the store number when they will be remodeled and yes ALL Wal marts will be losing their fabric it is when they remodel they will lose it . There is suppose to be a place online you can find out when buty as of yet I haven't found that when I talk to her again I will ask her to send me the link
Old 07-09-2009, 04:44 PM

I am in a blue panic about Walmart closingtheir fabric depts!!! My church family and I DEPEND on them!! I make all of my Sunday school decor from fabric, paint and felt,and we do lap quilts each year for nursing home folks not to mention my own love affair with fabric !! What are they thinking!! The fabric dept moves merchandise double quick so they cant be losing money... I sure wish they would reconsider .
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 PM

I was told that the markup on fabric is not that great, so even though they move the fabric it still costs in labor and floor space for other products that bring in more money. It doesn't do any good trying to write them or get up a local petition, that has already been done throughout the US with no success. The will of the people means nothing compared to the bottom line. Got to keep making those billions!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:37 AM
JS

Some stores on line may be the same price as Wal-Mart but remember...you still have to pay shipping unless it is a large amount you are buying.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:49 AM

i like ordering from dixiechicks.com
also designsbysick.com