Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept. >

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

There are a few good things about WalMart losing their fabric dept.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Our walmart has some craft/scrapbooking supplies on clearance that could be used for sewing/quilting -- rotary cutters and mats and some other notions. They are not in the sewing dept - you have to look a few aisles over.

We have one more year before our Walmart remodels and we lose our fabric dept. :cry:
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

so i looked into the Connecting Threads are there USA fabric.

they are making a play on words the cotton is USA but it is woven and printed some where in North America they aren't stating where and North America consists of a lot of counties.

here's a link to the countries in north america

http://geography.about.com/library/m...rthamerica.htm
Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltinLee
Originally Posted by SC
I was in WalMart today just browsing. I don't think they are closing their fabric dept. They seem to be getting in new items almost every week. I came across a couple of the Fiskars rotary strip cutters marked down to $25 & just had to have one. Tried it out on some scraps when I got home - I like it! This is switching subjects, but I also noticed they had gotten in some Fiskars 14" rotating cutting mats $24.95. I have been wanting a rotating mat but have been too stingy to pay for one! Should I splurge for this one or save up for an Olfa 17"??? Comments anyone?
I talked to one of the women that works in our local WalMart (a small one, not a superstore) and asked her about the closing of the fabric depts. She told me that when the store is scheduled for remodeling, the are going to lose their fabric dept. Luckily, this one is not due for remodeling until 2011!!
So that should give you time to work on building a bigger stash. Pick up a little at a time until they close. :wink:
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM

The Walmart I go, to 50 miles one way and it is the closest fabric shopping,they said because of the Amish population they would not be loosing their fabric dept. We have nothing closer and the only other place in the same town is Joanns. We will have to see how that plays out.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 AM

We have three WalMarts here and all have fabric but the one with the biggest selection is remodeling and they are downsizing the fabric dept. but not totally eliminating it. I bought over 30 yds of fabric on Tuesday but have yet to take it out of the bag to take a photo. Bought most of it to make pillowcases and one large piece for a quilt back.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 AM

We still have a few WalMarts with fabric here in our area in British Columbia, but many others have now lost their fabric department. On-line shipping is expensive too, since companies charge quite a bit more to ship internationally. Sigh.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SC
I was in WalMart today just browsing. I don't think they are closing their fabric dept. They seem to be getting in new items almost every week. I came across a couple of the Fiskars rotary strip cutters marked down to $25 & just had to have one. Tried it out on some scraps when I got home - I like it! This is switching subjects, but I also noticed they had gotten in some Fiskars 14" rotating cutting mats $24.95. I have been wanting a rotating mat but have been too stingy to pay for one! Should I splurge for this one or save up for an Olfa 17"??? Comments anyone?
I bought the smallest Olfa mat at JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon, cut a large square out of it to use like a rotating cutting mat. I don't need the ball-bearings to move the mat around on my table, and the stuff I'm cutting doesn't slip. I use the grid lines, and I'm not limited by the rotary circle.

BONUS - I use the 'leftover' piece next to my sewing machine to do the trimming when I'm paper piecing .
Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM

lots of folks complain about Wal-Mart; however, they do carry lots of different products and we should be thankful for that.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I made my own rotating cutting mat. I bought the largest turntable Rubbermade makes, took an very old cutting mat, traced the turntable onto it with a marker, then cut the mat to fit inside of the turntable, and glued it in.........It works great.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM

When we first heard our store was going to drop fabric, Our quilt guilds in Beaufort, and Hilton Head, called wrote and petitioned them. They said they would hold off for two years, so I guess that is when they will be remodeling. That would put it next year now.