Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a Hand Cream for Quilters?

I have to wash my hands a lot during the day, and on top of that, I have exzema (sp). My hands get very dry, and I cannot use regular hand cream while quilting, or while using the computer. Have you ever heard of anything I could use to help my hands and still play at my favorite hobby?

Anne-have you tried Udder Cream? It soaks in quickly and will not leave any grease on your fabric. Some quilt and fabric stores sell it and I have even seen it at Walmart before.

http://www.uddercream.com/

Blog Entries
    I use Jergen's Ultra Healing for Extra Dry Skin. It goes in fast, and I don't find it leaves stains on anything. I use it all the time, because I am also a secretary and handle paper all day. My cuticles have gotten so dry they bleed!

Blog Entries
    I bought some hand lotion a long time ago called Sew Busy in a bright pink bottle. It was made just for quilters. I haven't seen a bottle of it since.
    I think Thimbleberries has a line of hand lotions for quilters.

Blog Entries
    My fingers get so dry they crack and I slater BagBalm on them at night and wear clean socks on my hands while I sleep. My skin has never been this normal! Doctors without Borders order this by the cases for extreme feet skin cracking for patients in arid countries where they go barefoot most of the time. It's getting hard to find so stock up when you see it. It's in a bright green can. The new stuff at Walmart is not the original BagBalm.

There's not a lotion that I've ever really been good about using...I don't like rough dry hands, but I don't care much for the lotioned/creamed feel either. I try to remember to treat my hands just before I go to bed. However, there is a fantastic spray on....yes, spray on hand lotion that I love... Bath Junkie is the place and Body Dessert is the product. I carry a small spray bottle of it in my handbag and use it whenever...it doesn't feel greasy...doesn't mess up the steering wheel..or leave residue on fabric or thread. If you have a Bath Junkie near you and haven't been there...GO! Such a treat, such fun, and be sure to take them up on their offer to try the exfoliating salt scrub to wash your hands...it's great! Go, enjoy...life's short!

There is a lotion called Gloves in a Bottle that you can probably get at your LQS or other hobby or craft store.

Blog Entries
    The new stuff at Walmart is not the original BagBalm.
    I've used Bag Balm for years but haven't bought it lately. Does the stuff at Walmart have a different can so you can tell it from the old stuff?

Best thing I have found is O'Keeffe's Working Hands. I buy it at either Lowe's or Home Depot. Look for a small green plastic tub. It is not greasy at all and is absolutely amazing for my cracked VERY dry skin. So good, normally I only have to apply it once every few days. :)

I really want to try this stuff http://www.planetpatchwork.com/honeyguy.html as much for gardening as for quilting.

Bag Balm is still readily available at any farm store, btw. Like Orvus (the equine soap used by many to wash needlework) and Mane n' Tail (the equine shampoo used by many young girls to wash their hair), Bag Balm is easy to find and costs less at stores like Agway, TSC, or Southern States Cooperative.

Thanks so much for all the info. I knew you would come to my rescue.

It's pricey - but the Crabtree & Evelyn hand therapy does wonders.

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I use Udderly Smooth I buy it at amazon. My son and my friends daughter had eczema and none of the meds they were given helped. SOOOOOOOOOOOO I researched and if you have eczema that will not go away use Granpas Pinetar soap and shanpoo. It is hard to find in the stores but you can get it at the Vermont Country Store. If the don't have it on line call them this is a product they always have if not grandpas then they will have another brand but make sure it is pinetar wherever you buy it NOT coaltar.

Banned
    I use Udder Cream and alot of baby lotion.

Neutrogena Fast Absorbing Hand Cream...... I get it at Amazon.com

Blog Entries
    When my hands were really bad, bagbalm at night with gloves...once they improve I put it on before washing dishes and use rubber gloves...the heat helps it to absorb and I wipe/wash it off when I am done with the dishes.

I like Gold Bond Ultimate. It does not stay greasy, and works great!

I've been using Aveeno Active Naturals Intense Relief Hand Cream for the past week, and it is definitely helping me.Dries fast and isn't greasy.. I can't use lotion at work, so this I put on in the morning, by the time I get to work its not an issue... you can wash your hand a few times too....I use it again when I get home and again before bed...

Years ago I had eczma sooo bad that I could only use eucerine products.

But now a days when I think of it, I use the udder cream.

Ami Simms recommends Surgeon's Skin Secret on her site. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to soon (I say as I gaze at the bandaids on my cracked and bleeding fingers). Several years ago my hairdresser, who, like me, has eczema, recommended a hand cream that contained beeswax. I think it was called ActiveHands. It was wonderful! My hands became soft and smooth; it wasn't heavy or greasy; it had a nice, mild scent; and the best thing was - it healed! It healed all those annoying little painful cracks before they got to be larger, even more painful cracks. So of course the company stopped making it. :evil: I've never found anything since then that worked nearly as well.

Like ActiveHands, Surgeon's Skin Secret also has beeswax and is supposed to heal. Here's a link to the site if anyone's interested: http://www.jamarklabs.com/

Here's a link to what Ami Simms has to say about it (she's so funny!): [url]http://www.amisimms.com/skin.html

Ami also sells Surgeon's Skin Secret on her site.

If anyone here has ever used Surgeon's Skin Secret, I'd love to know if it worked and if you liked it.

Blog Entries
    i use 'gloves in a bottle' from my local quilt shop, a little on the expensive side but works great for me...i wash my hands hundreds of times a day and they would be a cracked ugly mess without this stuff! a quilty friend sent me a bottle of 'udder cream' quilter's lotion one time, used it once, my hands started burning, turned bright red and raw/rashy...washed it off as quick as i could and decided its' not for me...i know people who love it though...its' hard to find what works best for you, but once you find it, stick with it.....i love vaseline intensive care products too.........this is always an issue for quilters, handling all that cotton leaches the oils right out of our skin, then winter comes and oh boy...

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I really want to try this stuff http://www.planetpatchwork.com/honeyguy.html as much for gardening as for quilting.

Bag Balm is still readily available at any farm store, btw. Like Orvus (the equine soap used by many to wash needlework) and Mane n' Tail (the equine shampoo used by many young girls to wash their hair), Bag Balm is easy to find and costs less at stores like Agway, TSC, or Southern States Cooperative.

I bought this stuff 2 years ago at the Houston Quilt show. Works good!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i use 'gloves in a bottle' from my local quilt shop, a little on the expensive side but works great for me...i wash my hands hundreds of times a day and they would be a cracked ugly mess without this stuff! a quilty friend sent me a bottle of 'udder cream' quilter's lotion one time, used it once, my hands started burning, turned bright red and raw/rashy...washed it off as quick as i could and decided its' not for me...i know people who love it though...its' hard to find what works best for you, but once you find it, stick with it.....i love vaseline intensive care products too.........this is always an issue for quilters, handling all that cotton leaches the oils right out of our skin, then winter comes and oh boy...
    My skin is sensitive to certain products, too. I've had the same experience of using certain lotions and having my hands (legs, arms, etc.) turn bright red and raw/rashy, so I'm very careful what I try. I think that's why I haven't ordered the Surgeon's Skin Secret yet; I hate to buy it over the internet without being able to try it first. Hmm...I wonder if they'd send me a small sample? I think I'll email them and ask.

Regarding Bag Balm, we used to have a dairy farm and used it for what it was originally intended: cow's teats! I have to admit it did work well on the cows, but I never liked getting it on my hands, so I've been reluctant to use it. I think I hurt my oncologist's feelings the last time I had chemo. I was having issues with my hands and fingers such as infections, fingernails lifting off, skin peeling off worse than normal, and lots of fun things like that. My onc started to tell me about Bag Balm and was getting a big kick out of saying I probably wouldn't believe what he was going to recommend, when I interrupted him and said oh yeah, Bag Balm, we used to use it on the cows when we farmed. Poor guy, you could just see I took all the fun out of his little presentation. :twisted:

I got Udder Cream and new skin this week at Walmart and I can already tell a difference. The new skin(or whatever) leaves an ugly film but my fingers don't hurt so I can live with the stain for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I have to wash my hands a lot during the day, and on top of that, I have exzema (sp). My hands get very dry, and I cannot use regular hand cream while quilting, or while using the computer. Have you ever heard of anything I could use to help my hands and still play at my favorite hobby?
    Go to you're sister's house. She has plenty of Avon you can use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast