Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a long - or midarm machine with feeddogs? >

Is there a long - or midarm machine with feeddogs?

Is there a long - or midarm machine with feeddogs?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

With my Nolting Longarm you can clamp it down (Lock it) so it only does a straight line left to right, or 'lock' it the other directions to do a line top to bottom. With rulers you can do the diagonals.

A lot of times with SITD your quilted (pieced) seam is not exactly straight anyway so it would be a matter of guiding the longarm along your seams.

I also agree with the post of if you are longarming a quilt you want more than just SITD.

PM me if you have any questions.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM

As I dont want to set it up on a frame this clamp down mecanism wont work for me. I want to set it up on a table.

I was looking for reviews on the Janome Horizon and they where not too good.
I was also not able to find out whether the Baileys home quilter has feeddogs.
Maybe someone has this machine.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

No feeddogs on my Bailey. Maybe you could special order one with feed dogs from them? It's basically just a stretched Janome.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by rivka
No feeddogs on my Bailey. Maybe you could special order one with feed dogs from them? It's basically just a stretched Janome.
thanks a lot. A custom made machine.............maybe they could also make it running on 220 Volt!? :lol:
I will send them a mail - asking doesnt cost anything.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

Until I got a longarm I was very happy quilting in sections. (This is not the same as QAYG.) You might give that a try.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM

I don't know how much money you are prepared to spend on a machine, but I bought a new 1600DPX, on-line from a Janome dealer in California. I paid somewhere around $750, and included were a sewing box, a cloth guide & several specialized feet. My local Janome/Viking/Bernina dealer wouldn't or couldn't come close to matching that price.

The 1600 has feed dogs, but they do not drop, so for FMQ, you also have to buy the plate & darning foot combo. (not very expensive); I got that from my local dealer.

Part 2 of the story is that, at the time I bought the 1600, I had a 12-ft. Grace Next Generation quilt frame in the basement; I bought the 1600 to go onto that frame. Unfortunately, before I could even get used to the whole arrangement, I lost that basement space to my son, who lost his job in the housing industry and needed to move back home.

Part 3 of the story is: I have a small room in the basement where my cutting table & fabric storage are; my son moved a solid wood table into one of the corners of that room. I put the 1600 on that table, surrounded the machine with styrofoam (level with the machine bed), covered the foam with vinyl & added a slider. This set-up works well as a frame "substitute". In fact, with the 1600 on the table, I can utilize all the other features of the machine, which I would not have done while it was set up on the frame. One thing you should know is that this machine (and its equivalent in Viking and Juki) require frequent oiling + a large supply of extra needles is good to have.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:08 AM

thank you. I looked at the Janome 1600 but I really would like to go bigger than 9" throat size.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM

I think you might be a candidate for one of the industrial systems & they should be available in Europe. Juki, Consew, Toyota & probably several others. Tailors & decorators use them. The straight stitch only systems don't seem to cost all that much & even come with a table. It's going to be heavy, though so where ever it gets put--that's where it's going to stay. No packing it up and putting it in a closet when you're not quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Hi Beverly

I was looking into those machines also but I think they sew way to fast with those strong motors. And I couldnt figure out whether one can lower the feed dogs :oops:

I did write to Baileys and will see what they come up with.
Granny
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Granny, you might do better to call them -- I have found in the past that they're not very good about answering email.