Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is there a market for handquilting >

is there a market for handquilting

is there a market for handquilting

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea
good luck too you with this. I have been hand quilting for peolpe for years. I can not get much work. but maybe in your area you will have better luck. Just so you know I'm not a bad quilter I quilting 12 to 14 stitch preinch. nad have won prizes for the quilting i have done.
wow....thats awesome...ok i guess i will just give up on the idea bc doesnt really seem to be a market for it.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
good luck too you with this. I have been hand quilting for peolpe for years. I can not get much work. but maybe in your area you will have better luck. Just so you know I'm not a bad quilter I quilting 12 to 14 stitch preinch. nad have won prizes for the quilting i have done.
wow....thats awesome...ok i guess i will just give up on the idea bc doesnt really seem to be a market for it.
It's early in the day Tisha, and you just posted this...give it time, someone might be interested!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 AM

My Mom made a beautiful hand appliqued quilt top and spent three years trying to find someone to hand quilt it. She gave up and had it machine done. So is there a market? .. yes ! But getting the word out will be your key to having a good customer base. This is a good place to start.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by tealfalcon
It's early in the day Tisha, and you just posted this...give it time, someone might be interested!
oh i know it just seems that handquilting is dying out...sweetpea was saying that she doesnt get much work and quilts much smaller then i do and has award winning quilts...
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I know the Amish ladies do it around here, but I am in Wisconsin.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 AM

You could put an add on craigslist to get a wider group of people in your area. Or check with your LQS to see if they know of any work. Some people may not have time to do their own quilting. The most important thing is to be clear and up front with your prices if not you may find yourself working for next to nothing.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM

I think there's a market for it, but it won't beat a path to your door - you have to advertise that you do it, and reach beyond your local area. Most people when they think hand quilting, think about the Amish. They have websites offering their services. You might google Amish hand quilting and see what they charge.

You can probably get work, but I don't know if you can make a living doing it. And by the way, 8-10 inches is just fine.

Janet
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

there is around here (OK)...most take them to the SR center and pay them to do. THe ladies there use the money to buy more thread and fabrics to make quilts. It is a win-win for everyone.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

I would think there is if you can figure out how to reach the right market. I FMQ all my own and wanted one handquilted. Local price here was $400 to hand quilt the entire top.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I would love to have one of my quilts handquilted with some perl cotton! I have not learned to do it myself and when I start will be doing smaller projects .... so... how can I know what your rate will be? Should I give you teh quilt size?