Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a market for quilt tops? >

Is there a market for quilt tops?

Is there a market for quilt tops?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 AM

Thanks for responding. I'm glad I asked before doing anything with this. It sounds like Esty might be the way to go if I decide to try it. I don't have any extra tops lying around. I was just inquiring to see what kind of feedback I'd get.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Yes, there is a big buy for quilt tops on e-bay. If you like making quilt tops, and you produce them quickly you really could have a good source of income off e-bay. I can't sell none of mine, I feel like they are my kids. I put alot of effort into them, I just can't part with them that that quickly.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 AM

The prices I've seen for quilt tops on E-bay varied from $35-$75.
You might have a lot of business, but I can't see that you'd make a lot of money.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I have seen some quilt tops for sale here and they've always sold. They are sold very reasonable though. Like maybe up to $50. I think they are made and the maker decides they don't want to put any more time into it because they aren't happy with the final product.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Hi,

I would like to know more about the charities you just mentioned--I think that might be something I would enjoy

Thanks

Nancy
Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Your question requires a complicated answer.Some quilters might buy a top to finish, but the rub is,by the time they pay you & shipping....there's still batting,backing,thread to buy,binding to cut,quilting to do & binding to finish.
Most quilters paying for a top would expect it to be squared,seams pressed,thread cuts.
On the other hand, nothing ventured,nothing gained.Try selling a few tops in classifieds.I'd go with kids quilts to start,making some you can use if not sold.Good luck.

PS... might see a lot of ppl selling quilts or quilty things to support their habit of buying fabrics :-D
I actually have a couple of very large quilt tops I would like to sell only because I can't afford to have them quilted by a long-armer and can't quilt it myself. These were BOMs from my LQS. I only did them to learn some new techniques.

I did a quilters garage sale at a local quilt show last year and did sell several quilt tops as well as block sets (with finishing kit). Did rather well too price-wise. I guess it's just where you sell them.

Good Luck !!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

I sometimes buy tops because I love hand quilting more than piecing. However, I only buy if I can see the top. Most importantly, the back of the top.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:44 PM

I think mine sold well because I'm a stickler with precision (it's a flaw I have). My neighbor teases me about being so perfect with my seams and points. But I figure if I'm going to put so much effort into a quilt, I might as well do the best I can. If my pressing isn't quite right, I have to fix it before I can go on.....like I said, it's a flaw I have... maybe a bit OCD LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 03:13 PM

I have just asked a quilter in FL to piece a top for me. I hate piecing and love applique. The trouble is that I love putting applique onto pieced backgrounds. I am giving this a try to see how it goes. I have a feeling that what I want to do will sell well, I just want to do a piece of it.For example, it took me forever to do the piecing on the quilt pictured, but only two hours to satin stitch the applique! I will post how this goes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244884.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM

there are hundreds on ebay everyday ........ some have lots advertized ..... think they must be imported or made in a business .... some are really pretty but prefer to make my own ..... have had friends who buy to practice on but they are so cheap....