Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread >

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 AM
Banned

You know, I never thought of that!!! What a great idea!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I use whatever I have. If all else fails it is black or white
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Brilliant Idea. Think I will use it. I seam to un-sew a lot. Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 AM

I used to always use white thread. Went thru tons of it too. But now I'm using whatever thread is in a used bobbin from a previous project. I'm even using a sample spool of quilting thread that came with my new quilt machine because the machine does not like it. Its supposed to be a bobbin thread but its so knobby so I can't understand how it would run smoothly in my machine. In fact every sample spool that came with my machine, it doesn't like so I'm using it to stitch my blocks together. These days every penny counts and I now live in a smaller town so finding supplies is not as easy as it once way.

Also, I'll use any color to stitch my blocks unless its all light colored fabric, then I'll use a lighter colored thread. When my mother came to live with me, she came with lots of spools of threads. Have no idea how old they might be but if they don't break easy, I'll use it. As my basement is colder than the rest of the house, you could say they are in cold storage so not so apt to dry out.

Suz in Iowa
Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 AM

I have a few dozen cones of serger thread, some I bought, but a lot of it from rummage sales and a bunch of it given to me. Fons and Porter had the question of whether or not to use serger thread for piecing, and they said it would be fine. The only thing I should have been more careful of was using dark thread on my stars with the white centers. Shows a little, but you can't see it from the back of a galloping horse. LOL
I'll have to live to be 200 to use up all my cones of serger thread. Lots of intense jewel colors!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 AM

For piecing, you're right - value is pretty much all I worry about. I've pieced greens with navy thread, yellows with pink thread - and using up orphan bobbins on everything. I have large cones of lght and dark grey and light and dark beige that suits just about everything. But for stitching that shows outside, I still try to match as much as possible.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Red thread use to be considered a basic color for piecing. Use to be red, white, and black thread were all the thread colors anyone needed for sewing.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM

When I make scrappies its the perfect time to use up all the small amounts of thread on my bobbins or spools. It feels so good to have my bobbins cleaned out.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM

I always use matching thread. I need to lighten up.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Gray is my favorite as it seems to blend in with everything. I also use cream and black when it seems to go better. Upon occasion I've used a contrasting thread to make the quilting stand out. I have a friend who switches thread color on one quilt several times to match each block and she makes small blocks! Her quilts are pretty but I'd never do that. Once in a while I have switched the color for a border usually to highlight it.