Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread >

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 AM

Piecing - I'll use whatever is handy unless it is white fabric and then I use white thread. It's a good way to use up small amounts of thread left on spools and bobbins. When I am quilting or doing something where the stitching shows, I'll use a matching thread (or contrasting thread if that is the look I want). I don't worry about the quilt police. LOL.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 AM

Piecing - I'll use whatever is handy unless it is white fabric and then I use white thread. It's a good way to use up small amounts of thread left on spools and bobbins. When I am quilting or doing something where the stitching shows, I'll use a matching thread (or contrasting thread if that is the look I want). I don't worry about the quilt police. LOL.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
My first quilt (the chicken one) I did buy coordinating thread...but then I realized I had a ton of full bobbins (and not one empty one) of every other color thread I already owned. I started using them all up, and except for the outside quilting thread that I made sure was a coordinating neutral...it just didn't seem to matter one iota what color thread was holding the whole thing together on the inside. I'm pretty sure that from here on out, unless it's a 'special' project, I'm not going to worry about anything other than whether the thread needs to be dark or light for any given project.

Any other rogue players out there using up whatever's hanging about and not worrying about matching your project?
For piecing, I try to use white, grey, or tan of 50 weight. The finner the better as my bulky seams are less bulky. But I have been know to use up different colors in the bobbins not wanting to waste thread. But if I'm piecing white on white, I do use a white thread just in case.

Go for it, no one will see it on the back side.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM

I use whatever I have. When thread goes on sale I stock up on basic colors - white, grey, tan, black, red and go from there. About the only time I pay full price for thread is if I'm working on a project where the thread shows and I need a specific color.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 AM

I found that for piecing if you use charcoal gray when sewing black fabric, it's easier to see to unsew if need be, and you really cant see it once the quilt is done. white with white. other than that I use whatever is in the bobbin. most of my threads are neutrals.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 AM

I have not only used bobbins for this but thread also. I have used up a lot of partial spools this way.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 AM

I'm over all the "rules." For piecing, I use whatever I have around- whatever color snippets are in my bobbins- that's how I empty them. I inherited alot of thread from my mother and am in the process of using it up. Obviously for the quilting itself I use matching thread. It really is quite freeing to relax on some of the quilt police rules!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 AM

I use up all my partial bobbins when I piece
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM

I have to admit I don't pay a lot of attention unless I am working with white fabric. I make a lot of scrap quilts so it doesn't seem to make any difference and so many times I use varigated thread for quiting.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I have four Aurifil 50 weight threads that I use for all piecing - white, black, grey and tan. It makes thinner seams that iron flatter than the heavier threads. I love it. Truth be told, I'm sure you could choose either the grey or tan and piece everything with it, but I use a lot of white or black sashing and backgrounds, so I perfer the white and black too.
I use the same Aurifil thread, same weight only just cream or grey for all my piecing. Quilting the top is another matter, I try to blend my thread to the basic fabric color.