Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want? >

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 AM

For straight piecing, I still prefer a Singer Featherweight. However, I own a Bernina 440 QE for piecing / quilting, and I have another Bernina (forget which model) which is a sewing/embroidery combo. I like having two machines, that way, I can embroider something and still be piecing, and I can leave the embroidery machine set up rather than having to change from sewing to embroidery and back. I don't think I've ever seen a machine that will do everything I want as well as these three machines do them individually.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM

Nope! None has the presser foot lifter on the front or end!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 AM

I used to do everything on my brother combo SE400. But I eventually got a separate brother PC420PRW machine for sewing/quilting. I got tired of switching thread, needles, etc. Neither one are fancy/expensive models but they do what I need and I am very pleased with both. Why both brother? I have just had really, really good luck out of all the brother machines I've owned. The only thing the embroidery machine has that the sewing doesn't that I really wish it had was the feature that tells me when my bobbin thread is low. That is a REALLY handy feature!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Separate machines for all the reasons listed above...especially that embroidery takes TIME and you are locked out of working on anything else. I also have a swivel, rolling chair to switch between machines..
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 AM

my 1630 has a knee presser foot lifter (BERNINA) hands free !!!!!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by auntnana View Post
I used to do everything on my brother combo SE400. But I eventually got a separate brother PC420PRW machine for sewing/quilting. I got tired of switching thread, needles, etc. Neither one are fancy/expensive models but they do what I need and I am very pleased with both. Why both brother? I have just had really, really good luck out of all the brother machines I've owned. The only thing the embroidery machine has that the sewing doesn't that I really wish it had was the feature that tells me when my bobbin thread is low. That is a REALLY handy feature!
If you wind two bobbins and use one on top and one in the bobbin you always can see at a glance how much thread is remaining !!!! One of my favorite things about my 301A is winding the bobbin for the next project as I am sewing the current project....that is just plain fun!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

My 401 does embroidery. Just have to stay with it. Well I do. Love me 401.
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I like the old stuff. I'd recommend a Singer 401A as a great all around machine. It doesn't do embroidery though. It doesn't matter to me, I do mine by hand when it comes up.
Rodney
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Baby Lock and Brother have an equivalent model that does it all (piecing, embroidery, quilting) but you pay dearly for it.

I thought I wanted an embroidery unit once but decided against it. When the embroidery module is doing its thing, I would need a different machine to piece or quilt. There is no room for all that hardware.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:14 AM

My favorite of my machines is my 401A Singer. It is 58 years old, does a beautiful satin stitch as well as dozens of others and has cams to increase its repertory. It has been in hospital only once for a minor adjustment.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 AM

like so many others my 401A is my favorite most used machine. I do embroidery on mine but as tessagin says you do have to stay with it. My DH gave me the Brother embroidery machine Christmas before last and I love it. I don't do much machine embroidery so it is just right for me.