Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want? >

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Is there one sewing machine for everthing you want?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

I prefer separate machines for sewing and embroidery. I have them close together so I can watch the embroidery machine while stitching on the sewing machine.

There are some really good deals out there but takes time to look at all of them. Brother has a machine that is not terribly expensive that embroiders only for around $700. I think it is limited to a design no larger than 5" x 7" and that is what about 80% of the designs used. I would suggest not buying one with a limitation of 4" x 4" because those designs are getting hard to find. Also they have a small machine called a Brother Simplicity for sewing that has lots of stitches along with a needle threader and scissors. I think it is around $500. Also you may have to go to a Brother dealer to find these machines. I don't think they are the ones sold anywhere else.

One thing that is sometimes not considered is the software for embroidery machines. It is used for designs that don't come on your machine. You might try to negotiate a software program so you can see your designs on the computer if you purchase from a dealer. Mine doesn't digitize or anything like that.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM

A Brother embroidery machine for only $360 seems like it will only handle a 4 x 4 in embroidery frame. I think you will "outgrow" that size very fast and will wish you had spent more money on a machine that can handle the 5 x 7 frame (minimum) and probably even larger frames. If there was any way I could afford a new machine for embroidery, I'd buy the one that could work with the very largest frame. I think the frame sizes for some machines go up to 10 inch or 12 inch.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM

I don't embroider, so can't really comment on that, but I can comment on the Juki-TL2010. I bought one about a year and a half ago for $999, when I had originally planned to spend half that amount. I'm really glad I shelled out the extra money for the Juki though. If you're going to go with two machines and if one them can be a straight-stitch only machine, then the Juki is a really good investment. There are a lot of threads on here about the 2010, so I won't go into the details of what I like about the machine, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Have you seen the Facebook group that does machine embroidery using vintage machines? It is beautiful. I tried it and my first attempt looked great. No fancy machine needed at all. I have been embroidering up a storm and it hasn't cost me anything but thread and stabilizer. I use an old metal embroidery hoop. The machine I use is an old Singer 99. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421958014741838/

I was about to buy a very expensive embroidery machine until I tried it. It's much more fun then watching a machine do the work for me. I feel like I am the creator, not the machine.
Onebyone the work shown on that facebook page is really amazing and inspirational, and all on old straight stitch machines.
Rodney
Old 03-21-2015, 03:11 PM

I am going through the same thing. I am looking at the new Dream weaver or one of the V lines of Brother.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:02 PM

The one machine i want for everything is the one I can't afford....a Pfaff creative sensation PRO. It is top of the line and will do everything anyone could think of. I can dream....
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 PM

I am another in the camp of a straight stitch only machine for piecing and (dreaming of owning) an embroidery machine strictly for embroidery and any other zigzag I might want to do.

Since I don't plan on doing a lot of embroidery - most likely mainly labels and such - I'm presently considering a very basic machine in the under $500 range.

Whether I decide to upgrade my wants before I actually purchase remains to be seen. Lol! Because it sure would be nice to have one of those that "does everything". However I don't want to make it a commercial venture and that would be the only way I could justify to myself that kind of expenditure.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 AM

I have a Bernina 730e which does everything. It also has a knee lift for the presser foot. I also have an old Bernina 930 i sew on when the 730 is doing embroidery. I want to get the Bernina 16 needle embroidery machine. I will one day. I like being able to use the 730 for sewing. When I have several granddaughters here wanting to sew, between the Berninas, my Mom's Janome, my take to class machines and the treadle all of them can sew at the same time. I number the machines and they draw for the one they use. I have 10 granddaughters. Right now only 5 are old enough to sew on their own. When the others get older, I guess I will get a few more machines. ��
Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 PM

The Brother Quattro or Baby Lock Ellissimo come very close.... when they get to a 12" square embroidery field I'll buy a new machine. Currently I have a Brother Duetta that meets my essential needs and a half dozen or so other machines to take to classes, sew on when the Duetta is embroidering or to set up several for different stitches or thread colors if needed.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Have you seen the Facebook group that does machine embroidery using vintage machines? It is beautiful. I tried it and my first attempt looked great. No fancy machine needed at all. I have been embroidering up a storm and it hasn't cost me anything but thread and stabilizer. I use an old metal embroidery hoop. The machine I use is an old Singer 99. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421958014741838/

I was about to buy a very expensive embroidery machine until I tried it. It's much more fun then watching a machine do the work for me. I feel like I am the creator, not the machine.
WOW! That is all I can say about that page. I know I could never get that good but thank you for the site.