Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a way to look at what patterns are in a book if I am buying it online? >

Is there a way to look at what patterns are in a book if I am buying it online?

Is there a way to look at what patterns are in a book if I am buying it online?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Is there a way to look at what patterns are in a book if I am buying it online?

I want to make another Bargello quilt, but nothing I currently have seems to be "the one." I have been looking at Bargello quilt books at Amazon, but I hate to order a book without knowing that there is at least one pattern in the book that I want to use.

Sometimes Amazon lets you look inside a book before you buy, but for these books, that doesn't get me far enough to see all of the patterns. The one I am looking at now says it has 8 projects, but, other than the one on the cover, I can't get to any of the patterns. I don't seem to be interested in the one on the cover, so I am not sure I would be interested in any inside.

So, that is my question. Is there a way to look at the different patterns online? (If I was buying the book in person, I could just flip through it, but I already have more Bargello books than my LQS. )

Thanks for any info.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 11-19-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Check if the book is at softexpressions.com . In their detail they show every pattern in a book. You can also try googling the book's ISBN, then click on "images". Sometimes you can find a website that way that shows all the patterns in the book.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 PM

This is a continuing problem that I have too. All I have done is look for other sites that sell the book and see if they give any more detail. Oh, and sometimes the author of the book will have some info on her/his website about the designs in the book. Sometimes I buy a book because there is one pattern I know I want, and hope there are others I like.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 PM

Look on the cover and see who publishes it, Martingale, That Patchwork Place, etc. Go on their website and see if they show the quilts inside. I know Martingale does (shopmartingale.com). Under the picture of the book, there is a see more images link. You can also google the name of the book and there might be a blog from the author, or someone reviewing the book. They usually show all the quilts in the book.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 PM

also look at the connecting threads book section online, if they carry the book they have "more views" link like softexpressions & martindale does. i agree, even tho i can return the book if not happy, i like to see if there is more patterns that i would like to make from it.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM

Sometimes Amazon allows access inside a book but not necessarily showing every pattern.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:40 AM

I have this problem, too. I usually buy a book if there's at least one pattern I like and want to make. Sometimes between the front and back covers all the projects inside are shown, even if it's just a bit of each. I like when both front and back covers are shown. Sometimes I buy (or not!) based on the reviews--always read the reviews.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:47 AM

Check at your local library. They may have a copy of the book.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:54 AM

Quilt in a Day also adds pictures of "other quilts in this book" on their website.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Dina, what is the name of the book?? Maybe I have it and can tell you what is in it. I do like That Patchwork Place because they do show you the pages and they also sell individual patterns from their books.