Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a way to make cutting with pinking shears easier? >

Is there a way to make cutting with pinking shears easier?

Is there a way to make cutting with pinking shears easier?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Since I do a lot of garment sewing also, I bought a second rotary cutter just for the pinking blade so I don't have to change blades all the time from one kind to another. Have a pair of Fiskar pinking shears but with arthritis in hands, they are difficult to use and the pinking blade is much faster also.

Last edited by Gladygirl; 04-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have my grandmother's pinking shears and they will cut fabric but it was slow going. I got a new pair stuck in my Christmas stocking a few years ago. I never opened the package thinking they would be the same as my old pair. I couldn't find my pinking shears for a fast cut so I opened the new package. What a difference! The new pinking shears cut through the fabric in one cut and each pink a sharp edge, no fraying at all. And the new pair was much lighter in weight. I retired my grandmother's pair as decoration. I'll use the new ones.
I have what I thought were my mom's pinking shears but they actually were my aunt's, who was my father's oldest sister. My mom is 96, so I'm guessing the pinking shears are at least 60 years old. They cut well but feel like they need to be oiled. They are very stiff. Do you oil pinking shears?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM

I have a pair of quite old pinking shears that I found hard to cut with. Some research on the internet told me to oil the blades and what a difference. They cut really well and are no longer dull. Give your scissors a good oiling with machine oil and they might work lots better for you.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Did you know that pinking shears can be sharpened? Mail them back to the factory that made them. Mine are Gingher, bought 25 years ago and still sharp. You can Google the brand to find the addresses you need.