Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there a way to make cutting with pinking shears easier?

Is there a way to make cutting with pinking shears easier?

I have two little wall quilts I want to make (Appliquilt). My pinking shears are second hand, but still relatively sharp. Is there a way to prepare the fabric to make it easier to cut? Would just starching improve this? I have arthritis in my hand, making it somewhat more difficult, but just can't see buying a new pair of pinking shears when I've only used the ones I have once or twice in 15 years. Thanks!

Power Poster
    My shears are not the sharpest due to age but I find if I stack 2 cottons together they work better and starch definitely helps to get a clean cut edge. I also find that they work better cutting about 1/4 inch from the edge and not right along the edge. If I try to pink right along an edge, it tends to leave thread pieces.

Blog Entries
    I have my grandmother's pinking shears and they will cut fabric but it was slow going. I got a new pair stuck in my Christmas stocking a few years ago. I never opened the package thinking they would be the same as my old pair. I couldn't find my pinking shears for a fast cut so I opened the new package. What a difference! The new pinking shears cut through the fabric in one cut and each pink a sharp edge, no fraying at all. And the new pair was much lighter in weight. I retired my grandmother's pair as decoration. I'll use the new ones.
    Got fabric?

You know they also make pinking blades for rotary cutters. That might be easier than trying to maneuver pinking shears on small pieces. You could give it a try on some scraps & see which works better/easier for you, especially with your arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by scisyb220 View Post
    You know they also make pinking blades for rotary cutters. That might be easier than trying to maneuver pinking shears on small pieces. You could give it a try on some scraps & see which works better/easier for you, especially with your arthritis.
    Great idea!! Those blades make it so much easier, and it really gives it a nice edge! Now to keep them from my daughter who scrap books!!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

Blog Entries
    That's what I was going to suggest - pinking blade for your rotary cutter!

Quote Originally Posted by scisyb220 View Post
    I've used the pinking blades in my rotary cutter. The pinking blades for papercrafting are cheaper than the ones made for fabric too. The ones I got were both made by Fiskars & I couldn't tell the difference. A clerk at Joann Fabrics actually told me this.

I bought an Olfa pinking blade and, quite frankly, it didn't do very well. I have a pr of pinking shears, but they are hard to cut a straight line with. JoAnns was out of the Fiskers blades, but I think I will try them instead and see if they are sharper than the Olfa. I like to trim my fabric before pre-washing.

I didn't know they made pinking blades for rotary cutting. I must look for them next time I get into town. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pinking Shears

Being left handed has always made buying scissors a pain in the rear. I do not currently have any pinking shears becasue my last pair I got a thrift store or yard sale and they were utterly useless.

I did not realize there were blades for my rotary cutter, I will have to look at Hobby Lobby and Hancock now to see about getting some. Thanks for the great suggestion!!

Since I do a lot of garment sewing also, I bought a second rotary cutter just for the pinking blade so I don't have to change blades all the time from one kind to another. Have a pair of Fiskar pinking shears but with arthritis in hands, they are difficult to use and the pinking blade is much faster also.
    Last edited by Gladygirl; 04-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I have my grandmother's pinking shears and they will cut fabric but it was slow going. I got a new pair stuck in my Christmas stocking a few years ago. I never opened the package thinking they would be the same as my old pair. I couldn't find my pinking shears for a fast cut so I opened the new package. What a difference! The new pinking shears cut through the fabric in one cut and each pink a sharp edge, no fraying at all. And the new pair was much lighter in weight. I retired my grandmother's pair as decoration. I'll use the new ones.
    I have what I thought were my mom's pinking shears but they actually were my aunt's, who was my father's oldest sister. My mom is 96, so I'm guessing the pinking shears are at least 60 years old. They cut well but feel like they need to be oiled. They are very stiff. Do you oil pinking shears?

I have a pair of quite old pinking shears that I found hard to cut with. Some research on the internet told me to oil the blades and what a difference. They cut really well and are no longer dull. Give your scissors a good oiling with machine oil and they might work lots better for you.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Did you know that pinking shears can be sharpened? Mail them back to the factory that made them. Mine are Gingher, bought 25 years ago and still sharp. You can Google the brand to find the addresses you need.