Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
They got the box of quilts!! >

They got the box of quilts!!

They got the box of quilts!!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Thank you for working for our military. Even if they don't know who sent them God did and He rewards labor.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM

:D Thanks for sharing about soldiersangels; they have a deadline of Nov 15,2010. I'm going to rush & see if I can accomplish a few no-sew fleece blankets & get them sent ASAP. There's a excellent pattern for the no-sew blankets on their site you have generously provided. Thanks for sharing that!( in response to fayzer).
Old 10-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Jan,I'm absolutely delighted for you!I'm still new here but I love all the generosity & love that flows through this board. I look forward to the pictures!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by FabricHappy
:D Thanks for sharing about soldiersangels; they have a deadline of Nov 15,2010. I'm going to rush & see if I can accomplish a few no-sew fleece blankets & get them sent ASAP. There's a excellent pattern for the no-sew blankets on their site you have generously provided. Thanks for sharing that!
It does my heart good to see your post. I read a post on SA today that soldiers have asked for as for as many blankets as we can send. Today I am serging single layer fleece blankets to send to the hospital in Germany. It gets mighty cold for our wounded soldiers on the airplane back to the states. I found 1.5 yard fleece remnants at half price at JoAnn's that are the perfect size as the wounded are on stretchers size beds on the planes.

There is no better gift than a gift from the heart, whether it is the soldiers, the homeless, children, charity or hospitals.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh this is exciting news! I didn't know about your project as I don't get to spend as much time as I would like surfing around. I'd LOVE to participate next time around if you are doing it again...hopefully I won't miss the thread. Its such a nice thing to do and so important to those men...thanks everyone who worked on this...now I can't wait to see pics either!
Ditto! My sentiments exactly! And God bless all who support our troops!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
:D Thanks for sharing about soldiersangels; they have a deadline of Nov 15,2010. I'm going to rush & see if I can accomplish a few no-sew fleece blankets & get them sent ASAP. There's a excellent pattern for the no-sew blankets on their site you have generously provided. Thanks for sharing that!
It does my heart good to see your post. I read a post on SA today that soldiers have asked for as for as many blankets as we can send. Today I am serging single layer fleece blankets to send to the hospital in Germany. It gets mighty cold for our wounded soldiers on the airplane. I found 1.5 yard fleece remnants at half price at JoAnn's that are the perfect size as the wounded are on stretchers size beds on the planes.

There is no better gift than a gift from the heart, whether it is the soldiers, the homeless, children, charity or hospitals.
Thanks for your response! I'm blessed to partner with a good quilting friend to head up doing community quilting initiatives in the local quilt guild I belong to. I consider myself to be a novice quilter; however, since I've been involved with community service, I have learned so much about quilting & made many new friends. I certainly recommend community service activities to anyone who will listen! Goes hand-in-hand with the old familiar quote "Love isn't love until you give it away". Fayzer, God bless you & everyone who reads this!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

It does my heart good to see your post. I read a post on SA today that soldiers have asked for as for as many blankets as we can send. Today I am serging single layer fleece blankets to send to the hospital in Germany. It gets mighty cold for our wounded soldiers on the airplane. I found 1.5 yard fleece remnants at half price at JoAnn's that are the perfect size as the wounded are on stretchers size beds on the planes.

Thanks for your response! I'm blessed to partner with a good quilting friend to head up doing community quilting initiatives in the local quilt guild I belong to. I consider myself to be a novice quilter; however, since I've been involved with community service, I have learned so much about quilting & made many new friends. I certainly recommend community service activities to anyone who will listen! Goes hand-in-hand with the old familiar quote "Love isn't love until you give it away". Fayzer, God bless you & everyone who reads this! :lol:
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Soldiers Angels is asking for quilts and no sew blankets. Our troops in Afghanistan are freezing. It is really cold there now at night. The sleeping bags issued to the military are narrow at the bottom, not giving them room to stretch. With quilts and blankets, they are able to sleep on top of their sleeping bags and cover up with the quilts and blankets. If you have any quilts made with no recipient in mind or maybe it didn't turn out quite like you wanted, a cold soldier would really appreciate it. Go to this link: http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=681&cntnt01returnid=15
Thank you, fayzer, for this link. I checked it out and bookmarked it for future use. First, my quilts are going to Jan's soldiers then the rest will go to SA. ;-) ;-)
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Jan I was planning on making a top to bring with me in Nov to add to your list but I/m not sure I can. I will be there to help you with the ones that do come in. Since I talked to you last this is my son's update and what I've been working on.

On the morning of October 13th 2010, PFC Jordan Byrd, was killed by enemy small-arms fire while conducting a mission in Afghanistan. A medic, Jordan was struck while sacrificing his own safety so as to render medical aid to one of his Company mates. Even at such a young age of 19 years, he established himself as the example to follow in all that he did. An incredible Husband, Father, and Son, his memory will live on and inspire all of us as we continue the task before us.
This soldier never got to see his son which is only 1 month old.

At the request of the team, I am making Jordan's son a small quilt so all the team members can sign it in memory of his dad. They also wanted a quilt for his wife so they can do the same. I have finished making both tops and trying hard to get these done ASAP so I can get them sent off.

Today I got another note:
On the morning of October 21st 2010, SSG Kenneth McAninch, was killed by enemy small-arms while engaging the enemy after one of the vehicles in his convoy struck an IED in Afghanistan. As a Squad Leader, Kenneth was struck while directing the fire of his Squad after they had been ambushed during a vehicle recovery effort for a previously disable vehicle. No others were injured during the incident and the rest of the unit is continuing the mission. Kenneth was the epitome of a Non-Commissioned Officer and a professional Leader.

Kenneth established himself as the example to follow in all that he did by always leading from the front and never asking those to do what he would not do himself. An incredible Husband, Father, and Son, his memory will live on and inspire all of us as we continue the task before us.

Please pray for these families and God bless them all.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

I will pray for the lost souls and their families. God Bless them all.