Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: They used them!!!!

My greatest compliment was when I made a quilt for my pastor's daughter and she came to me a year later and said that she wanted one for her other son who was born a year and a half later. She said the first son drags his around and refuse to go to sleep without it. Also when she posts pictures of him, he is laying on it, wrapped up in it etc. So since it is being loved , I made one for her other son tooand I know that its being used.

Same here .tell them use them ,there is always more where that one came from. And they are made to use. joyce j

Me too use them

I have my quilts that I make for the family long armed quilted planning on them using them. I have some foe me that I use and then I have others I never want to wash. I have a double one that I hand quilted and I don't want that one used.

I think it's the greatest compliment to go to a family member's home and see their children cuddled up, dragging around behind them or fall asleep in their crib/cradle/stroller in one of my quilts - it would be a shame to have something made with such love and care just sitting on a shelf in a dark closet

I like for mine to be used too! I even enclose laundering tips when gifting.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I made a grandmother's flower garden paper pieced quilt for my mother and she put it in a drawer because 'It's too good to be used' but after she died my son took it and wore it out over the next 18 years.

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

I love my quilts being used too. My sister was the recipient of one of my first quilts, seams weren't perfect, it really was a mess. She lived in Biloxi, Ms and when Hurricane Katrina came she took everything - house, possessions, everything. One of the few things my sister found was her quilt - this ugly thing. She washed and it was like new. But being a sister, she reminds me of that quilt mess when she can. But I was needing to get a picture of this quilt mess for my website to show everyone starts off rough and she hemmed and hawed around, finally I guessed she had made the dogs a bed with it and she said yes. So I can say it is being used, just not like I would have (or maybe I would). hmmm?

How gratifying! I also feel great when I see someone using the quilt I gave them.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Blog Entries
    I like to see quilts used on the bed, but really hate to see them used when moving furniture or abused. Love the grandchildren usings theirs.

So happy for you!! If I didn't want the quilts used that I made I wouldn't have given them to someone. They can stay in my dark closet just as easy as theirs. If they are put away I kind of feel like the receiver didn't like it so it's going to be put away like any other unliked gift.

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I really don't want mine used for a dog bed!
    This is funny because I recently reconnected with a former boyfriend from college. I'd made him a quilt back then and he'd used it ever since, until it got rather ragged, then he let the dog sleep on it. I thought it was kinda sweet that he still had it...25 years later. So, for is birthday last year, I sent him a new quilt! Yes, I love to see them used, dragged around, cuddled in.

I completely agree, it thrills me if someone uses a quilt I made. Even if it's for the dog!

Quote Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
    I'm thrilled to say that a number of my quilts were used this past week for a family reunion, from covering picnic tables to throwing on the ground for supper and fireworks. There was some oohing and awing and concern that they would get dirty (heaven forbid) but I am so glad to see them used. Whether on a picnic table, the ground or wrapped around someone, that's what it is all about for me. The delicate ones I keep home but most are for general use and I love seeing them used!

That is exactly my feeling, I get a thrill from seeing my quilts at a picnic! I have no artisitc ability but seeing someone sitting on my quilt at a picnic is love for me. One of my favorite photos (& my daughter's) is of toddler granddaughter & her dad lying on a colorful scrap quilt at a beach, that quilt is at least 20 yrs old & still going strong.

Always gratifying when a gift is loved enough to be used. Great!!
    pat design

I have to agree, I love making them and seeing them used!

I agree!!! I love seeing my quilts used.

I definitely make quilts to be loved and used, at the moment it'sbaby quilts.
    Liz Fairlie

Quote Originally Posted by trif View Post
    That's wonderful, they should be used. We only live once, use the quilts, burn the candles, eat off the fine china!

My thoughts exactly! Wonderful to see quilts being used lovingly!
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

I call my quilts "Huggles" as that is what they are for, to be huggled and used, even if I could I would never make a "Show" quilt as I want my quilts to be loved, I am so glad yours are.

I'm so glad they were used and it made you so happy!!! That's what it's all about.

i agree lets use them and enjoy them... that is the joy of quilting

Let me tell you about a quilt that was really used and I was so glad. My youngest daughter loved my quilts. She always had one with her when she traveled or just went on a picnic. She said it was like having a piece of home with her. She also loved to lay out in the sun. The company she worked for let her take a two hour lunch so she could come home and lay out. She draped a quilt over her lounge and let the sprinkler spray her.

Unfortunatley she passed away at the age of 23 from an asthema attack ( she has been gone 19 years now) The next morning I looked out the back door and saw the tattered quilt draped over the lounge she had left out...I was so glad she got to enjoy her quilt so much. So when I give a quilt to someone I am so glad they get to use it before their time is up.

My other daughter now has a whole collection of my quilts and they are always in sight being used. I even made one for her border collie so she could lay on the bed and not hair up the "real" bed clothes. LOL

Linda L

That's great and it was nice that they were concerned enough to ask whether they could use them in those ways. It sounds like great fun was had by all.

I finished up a quilt I've been working on for quite some time (between other "urgent" projects) this last week and laid it on the couch. My teenaged daughter was chilled one evening while laying on the couch and said, "May I touch it? I mean, may I actually use it?" It dawned on me that so many of my quilts are wallhangings or are given away, that my own daughter felt she needed to ask permission to touch it! How sad is that? Of course, she used it, and later said it would feel better after it's washed a few times. I said, "Let's wash it now!" and off it went. We used it last night when we sat out and watched the fireworks, and I smiled as I cuddled in it. It was a good lesson for me, and I agree--what good is it if it is never used?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast