Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thick thread >

thick thread

thick thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Yes. I did the same thing. Started with a matching 50wt, then switched to a matching 40wt. Then on to a coordinating color in 40wt & for some detailing I'll even use 28wt. I know some people that do bobbin work with a 12wt, but I'm not nearly that talented or that brave yet. With Aurifil threads they tell you right on their website what size needle is recommended for quilting with the different weight threads. I believe some of the other manufacturers do that as well.
That's good to know! I would never have figured it out
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
So grateful for all the posters here. I have often wished I could run 12wt through my machine on top for some special art quilting. I had read on Aurifil's site that it's for hand stitching & had heard about it being used for bobbin work, but never realized you can used it on top with some minor adjustments. I found this blurb today on Fat Quarter Shop's website:

So of course, now I want to go to LQS to buy some 12wt thread. Let's see if I can get out of there without buying 6 more things that weren't on my list.

~LOL. so do I. I'm going to pick those items up this weekend and give it try! Thanks for sharing that blurb, it's very helpful
Old 02-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!! I'm going to try this out this weekend!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I use 12 wt. all the time to hand quilt; don't know why you couldn't use it in the machine with adjustments; I LOVE the look of it!

Jan in VA
Old 02-29-2016, 03:12 PM

I have 3 brands of thick threads that I've used thru the needle. They are YLI 1000 denier Silk (similar to 12 wt.), Sew Sassy by Superior Threads (12 wt.), and Spagetti by WonderFil. The Silk is a bit shiny and all are easy to use. You need a larger needle, experiment and see what works best for your machine. I've also used Razzle Dazzle and Halo by Superior Threads, these need to go in the bobbin. You stitch with the back of the quilt facing up. If you need to know where to stitch, you can stitch with a water soluble thread from the top side first, then flip it over and stitch from the back side up w/ the thick thread. They work in free motion or with the feed dogs up. When all done stitching, either soak quilt to block or wash after totally finishing with binding and that water soluble thread (Superior Threads) will wash right out.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
I have 3 brands of thick threads that I've used thru the needle. They are YLI 1000 denier Silk (similar to 12 wt.), Sew Sassy by Superior Threads (12 wt.), and Spagetti by WonderFil. The Silk is a bit shiny and all are easy to use. You need a larger needle, experiment and see what works best for your machine. I've also used Razzle Dazzle and Halo by Superior Threads, these need to go in the bobbin. You stitch with the back of the quilt facing up. If you need to know where to stitch, you can stitch with a water soluble thread from the top side first, then flip it over and stitch from the back side up w/ the thick thread. They work in free motion or with the feed dogs up. When all done stitching, either soak quilt to block or wash after totally finishing with binding and that water soluble thread (Superior Threads) will wash right out.
Thanks for this info fireworks!
I'm really looking forward to trying out all these suggestions!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM

This is great info on using different wt threads! Thanks all.