Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles? >

Thimbles?

Thimbles?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM

I don't remember the brand, but the body of the thimble is rubber and the top is the regular metal thimble top. I really like these to grip the needle as I am pulling it out of the fabric. I use a regular all metal thimble on my bottom hand. I bought them at a LQS but you can also get them online. They come in different colors according to size.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM

Talking

I use the typical, run of the mill thimble you can get at Jo Ann's or a quilt shop. I use a size larger than the one that fits like a 'glove.' I don't know why I do that. ; ) I use one on my right index finger and I say 'ouch' every so often because the needle hits my left fingers in just the wrong place. I've thought about trying a new thimble, just to try something new, but when I quilt, I do so with the tip of the thimble and not the sides.
After a while, you'll come to miss it when you're not wearing it!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I don't remember the brand, but the body of the thimble is rubber and the top is the regular metal thimble top. I really like these to grip the needle as I am pulling it out of the fabric. I use a regular all metal thimble on my bottom hand. I bought them at a LQS but you can also get them online. They come in different colors according to size.
I believe it is made by Clover. I really like it but I need the small size and they are hard to find. I'll have to try online. I do know when I see a small one (orange) I grab it like a life line, LOL. The metal indented top is perfect for pushing and the silicon body helps it stay on my finger. I also use the rubber finger tips (I threw away the box but they are white) on my index finger to pull the needle. Really helps you get a good grip.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM

The only thimbles I have been able to get used to are the leather ones. The thin leather ones work, but I wear through them quite quickly. Many years ago I found one of the goatskin thimbles at a quilt shop. It has lasted me for years...she is from the same state as I am. She also makes wonderful pincushions

Here is a link to the website of the maker:
http://www.considinecreations.com/thimbles.htm

She has some great pincushions too.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 AM

I really like the little round stick-on leather thimbles. Regular thimbles get it my way, I can't 'feel' what I'm doing. With the little dots, I can put them exactly where I need them.
I really like the stick on metal discs as well. They come in both a bumpy and a smooth version. I like the smooth for under my work and the bumpy for pushing.
The sticky on these products allows them to used many times before having to replace it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Decades ago, my uncle made me a thimble Joshua tree wood and asked me to USE it. I have used it faithfully and take joy that he was so pleased to see that I found it comfortable and useful. Typically, I use this at home and one of the leather thimbles previously described when away from home. I don't want to chance losing this thimble and he told me before he died that I was the one and only person he knew that used the item. Conan Fisher, deceased, collected wood and made beautiful thimbles which are really works of art. My everyday thimble is thicker walled because it is one the first prototypes. Some of his specialty thimbles are in museums in Europe.

I have found this thread interesting. Thank you for sharing and giving links.