Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimbles >

thimbles

thimbles

Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Default thimbles

I had two thimbles. Can't find one, and the other one fell on the floor last night and I can't find it. Is there any particular way you, number one, store your thimbles when you remove them and, number two, how do you prevent them from falling off? I am thinking of maybe putting some kind of glue on the inside or putting some tape on my finger before I put the thimble on. I know I could put them in a small container if I momentarily take them off for whatever reason, but it will be very easy for me to hit the small container and knock the thimble out of the container and onto the floor.

I just bought a whole bunch of them, and I'd like to keep them for awhile before I have to buy new ones. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

If it's not attached to a large heavy object (like my body) I will loose it. I have my pin cushion on my wrist. I have all my favorite tools, thread scissors, stiletto, small ruler attached with ribbons to my sewing machine. I have a stapler & scissors attached to my desk, and another scissors attached to my Studio cutter. I have approximately 10 pair of reading glasses, and probably 50 ball point pens. Right now, I have no clue where any of them are. I'm hopeless!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM

I use a leather thimble, so I just throw it in with my needles and threads. They're usually kept in either a needle case or small tin; sometimes I have it all in a small tote bag.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I keep a jelly roll pan on the desk at my right elbow, It has all my misc. sewing stuff on it. It is handy to use and handy to move everything at once to another location if needed. You could stick a magnet on a jelly roll pan and if your thimble is metal, it would stick to it.
They do make a thimble cage that is on a chain like a necklace, if that interests you.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 AM

I have a small 8X8 pan, bottom lined with a scrap of batting, that I keep all my odds and ends in when I do hand work. just hold hand over it and drop thimble in when I put needle in pin cushion. To keep metal thimble on finger I wet my finger before putting it on. Make sure you have the right size thimble.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

You can push a small bit of children's clay (like Playskool) inside the thimble to help it stay on your finger better. You can also try adding just a thin strip of tape (quarter-inch quilting tape would work well) around your finger before slipping the thimble over it.

Also, it helps to have several different sizes of thimble onhand -- especially if your fingertips have a tendency to shrink slightly when cold and swell slightly when toasty warm. If it's very easy for the thimble to pop off your finger, chances are good the thimble is too big for the current size of your fingertip. Millimeters matter with thimbles!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM

One thing I would suggest is a ring holder. It is a little dish like thing with a post in the middle. I have a clover needle threader, when I bought it the person had a stand for it. It is a little piece of wood where the threader sits in a cut out area, a very small pin cushion on one side and on the other is a spindle for thread, but I use it for my thimble. I also have a thread holder, where the thread is on a spindle that is horizontal and a knob on top to put the thimble.

When I put a thimble on my finger I do lick my finger before putting it in the thimble. (Mine are silver from TJ Lane, and they suggested it.) And since I started doing that I haven't had a problem with them coming off.
Attached Thumbnails holder-.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:58 PM

If your thimble falls off your finger,it's likely too big. Hold your finger upside down...if the thimble falls off,it's too big. I have small velvet pouch that I keep my silver ( I'm allergic to nickel) thimble in when not in use. You could get a thimble cage,wear it on a chain around your neck...they are pretty cool.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:03 PM

No matter which thimble I purchase they never seem to stay on my finger. In pure frustration one day I picked up my spray can of KK2000 and spritzed the inside of my thimble. Voila! It stayed on my finger!! I store thimbles with my needles in a drawer.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
No matter which thimble I purchase they never seem to stay on my finger. In pure frustration one day I picked up my spray can of KK2000 and spritzed the inside of my thimble. Voila! It stayed on my finger!! I store thimbles with my needles in a drawer.
What a great idea!!! For those who may not know, she is talking about a washable quilt basting spray. Others you could use would be 505, Sullivan's, etc. You could also try spritzing your finger instead of the thimble. In either case, it's pretty easy to wash off the basting spray!